1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

08 Sierra Denaili- Radio won't turn off automatically

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by repley81, Dec 9, 2013.

Random Gallery Photos

1. repley81

repley81 New Member

Hey guys

I tried to remote start my truck this morning like I always do on cold winter days and all I get is a click. So I went outside and when I got close to my truck I could hear the radio still playing. Its one of the Bose audio system with the built in navigation. Usually the radio turns off after about 10 minutes when the key is out. So now I have a dead battery. Any ideas what maybe causing the radio to stay on all the time?
  2. j cat

j cat Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

no start cold temps and a 6 year old battery thats is normal.

load test the battery / I would replace with a high amp rating battery. then see if it cranks good on a cold start / also when you turn off vehicle and the radio is on see if the radio shuts off. if the radio stays on the BCM controls that function.
  3. repley81

repley81 New Member

If it is this BCM control, will that be something that is covered under warranty?
  4. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I do not believe that a BCM issue would be covered under power train warranty. I would agree with [MENTION=39185]j cat[/MENTION]. It is time for a new battery. Weird things start happening when a battery dies in these trucks. Replace it and see if the radio shuts off like it should. Does the remote starter turn the radio on? My after market starter does. I can't remember if the factory starter in my wife's torrent turned the radio on or not.
  5. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

The system that keeps the battery playing for 10 minutes after the key is turned is call Retained Accessory Power (RAP).

RAP, for the most part, is a computer parameter that commands the computer modules (the radio is one) to go into sleep mode.

When you shut the truck off last night, the radio keeps playing until RAP commands the sleep function, or until you open the door. Opening the door removes the timed interval and the radio is immediately commanded into sleep mode.

The Remote Start function does not turn the radio on (at least it doesn't in my truck, an '09). So, it is a safe bet to assume the radio was playing all night; hence, the almost dead battery.

You could have a number of things causing you a problem:
    - the open door switch in the driver's door (does the radio turn off when the door is opened?)
    - if all other open door things work (lights, etc), but the radio does not turn off, the radio module could be bad.
    - if it went to sleep, did something wake it during the night? Onstar uses the radio to produce the ring sounds and for the audio part of the conversation. Did you receive an Onstar call and the radio did not go back to sleep (not sure about this, the radio should not start if the key is not operated).

Anyway, some things to test.
  6. j cat

yesterday the air temp was 6 deg f . @ day break.
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Active Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Yep, and he could have an old battery that needs replacing ------ that was already stated. My suggestions are things that can be tested while the truck is warm.

A new battery and a faulty radio module will still produce a "need a boost" situation in the morning.

A little extra checking never hurt anything.
  8. j cat

old battery below 10 degf that is the test....

at zero deg f battery is 50% .
  9. GM Customer Service

GM Customer Service Member 100 Posts

repley81,

We’re sorry to see you were having issues with the radio continuously playing on your Denali. The GMC Customer Care team is here to help if we can! Have you found a solution yet, or are you still having some trouble?

Sarah (Assisting Jennifer)
    GM Customer Care