Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

08 silverado 2500HD with high miles, "service 4 wheel drive system"

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by rspan, Oct 17, 2011.

1. rspan

rspan New Member

Hello all!
    I'm joining the site today as my 08 2500HD has over 100,000 miles, and I intend on running it for another 200K without the safety net of a warranty (prayer said here) and need a place to get good information outside of paying for service fees. I am still giving all my money to ally (GMAC), so I'm extremely wary of going to a dealer to be fleeced for more.
    So, as the warranty ran out and I turned 105K miles I got this message "service 4 wheel drive system" I have seen a couple of indicators making me think a relay or solenoid has failed, the first is that when I turned the key to the run position I used to hear a loud electrical "clunk" before gauges and radios came on, that's now absent. Second, I have scoured the fuse panels and don't find any bad ones.
    I have a code reader which is no help in this case, and have traced wires and grounds looking for the obvious. Anyone have an idea??

2. Caddiac

Caddiac Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

Welcome aboard! You question will get more attention in the Technical forums. I would recommend buying the Helms manuals which are factory authorized manuals for your truck. There are diagnostic procedures that will help you identify the problem. There are code readers, code scanners and various levels of capability within those two groups. You might try one of the auto parts chain stores. I am told they will scan it for nothing. Depending on what they have they might be able to read and clear the code. If it does not come back you might be lucky that it was a fluke. You can use the code to help diagnose the problem if you can track down a manual.

3. rspan

rspan New Member

I looked into the helm website and will order manuals, pricey but probably worth it considering that I intend on keeping this truck a while. I will re-post this issue on the tech forums as I get used to this site, thanks for the advice!

4. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

welcome to the club

5. rspan

rspan New Member

Thanks Burden33, good looking silverado there

6. Bigbomber

Bigbomber Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club!

7. Burden33

Burden33 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

Thanks now lets see some pics of your silverado

8. TRANNY PRO

TRANNY PRO Member

Welcome to the club from Canada. I will check a little & see if I can come up with some info. Ken

9. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C !