Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

08 Silverado cracked exhaust manifold/ replace with headers

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by PSIRockin07, Jan 13, 2014.

1. PSIRockin07

PSIRockin07 New Member

Alright, well I thought I had an exhaust leak for a while. Went and had it checked just to be sure and sure enough it is an exhaust leak due to a crack in my exhaust manifold. I figure at this point I might as well just replace both exhaust manifolds with headers as the increase in horsepower would be nice and I've heard that it can increase fuel economy to some extent, but not so sure about that one. However, my main reason for choosing headers as a replacement is it's cheaper. At least compared to what I've found. Now my question is where is a good place to find V6 headers as it seems Summit only sells V8 headers. And also while these are not compatible with my model, is a brand such as these (http://www.summitracing.com/parts/psm-70-1346/overview/year/2008/make/chevrolet/model/silverado-1500) a good brand of headers to use or do you really get what you pay for? I don't want to save up and pay $600 for headers if I don't need to.

My trucks specs are a Silverado 1500 V6 4.3L.

2. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I have bought a set of $249.00 hooker headers, and I have bought a $900.00 set of Doug thorleys both long tube variety. Hookers were black steel painted, Doug thorley were tri coated ceramic. Over a 2 year span they have both rusted, the ceramic run 50 degrees cooler verified by digital heat gun.

My suggestion is don't blow a bunch of money on expensive headers, they all do the same thing. I have bought tons of summit or jegs brand products, and they are all great quality.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

headers on a V6 will not give you any gains. with a V8 you may see slight increase in performance.

If you concerned about cost get some scrap yard manifold. make sure they are properly torqued using the torque procedure. replace all the fasteners.

4. PSIRockin07

PSIRockin07 New Member

Thanks for the responses guys. Now I understand I could get a scrapyard manifold, but where I'm stationed there's next to no good scrap yards and the ones that are make you rent tools for ridiculous fees. So I'm just going to go with a set of headers instead. Also thanks for clearing up that expensive headers are a waste. My only other question is that if I get a set of long tube headers will I have to delete the cats on my truck or are there ways I can avoid that? Reason being is I've heard shorties are a complete waste.

5. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Well in your case shorties would be basically a stock replacement, long tubes would require relocation of the cats further downstream. When I did mine I redid the whole exhaust, I kept the cats.

6. PSIRockin07

PSIRockin07 New Member

That's what I was looking at. Long tubes would be nice, but I'd end up spending much more than I was trying to save. Plus in Georgia emissions are a joke. Being stationed in NC emissions have higher standards. Some places won't even pass you on emissions for relocation of the cats from what I've been told. I'm leaning more towards shorties for now if its even worth it for a cheap replacement, plus I'm sure it'd add a nice tone to the exhaust paired with my flowmaster 44 I have on there. My biggest problem though is finding headers for my specific year and model. It's as if they don't exist. Tried searching 2008 Chevy Silverado 1500 4.3l v6 headers on many occasions and keep getting headers from another year or 8 cylinder.

7. zuki82

zuki82 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I cant agree with the statement that headers wont help a v6. Just improving the intake and exhaust helps! That's what all engine mods are about, right? From cold air intakes , then bigger valves, then bigger pistons, to suck in more air through bigger valves, and better intake ,and cold air intake and filter?!? How fast you wanna go depends on how much $$$ you got to spend! And shortys ARE better than stock! They don't have the sharp angles and rough surface that restricts flow! Match that up with proper size pipes and free flow cats., dualed back, its all good!!!