1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

08 silverado harness ??

Discussion in 'Audio, Video & Gadget Tech' started by killerbanshee, Feb 7, 2011.

1. killerbanshee

killerbanshee New Member

Ive done some searching on this and found some good info but wanted to clarify which adapter I can use to install an aftermarket head unit in my truck. I've noticed other people using the GMOS-01 adapter for 04-05 models and wanted to know if it will work for mine. It's an 08 silverado shorwide with onstar no bose. This is the one I'm looking at:
    http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-METRA-AXXES...ltDomain_0&hash=item5d2a07287a#ht_3242wt_1135
  2. thrasher

thrasher New Member

The easiest way to tell is to pull out the head unit & unplug it. Take pics of the plugs & then go to purchase the wiring adapter.
  3. killerbanshee

killerbanshee New Member

So no one knows if that adapter will fit the 08?
  4. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

5. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member

Yea, looks like it will work. I had run into problems with that brand though and ended up shipping it back to Crutchfield. I went with a more expensive one from pac audio, but you might have better luck then I did.

Of course if you dont want onstar capability you van buy a much cheaper one that will keep everything working except the onstar.

Just thought I would throw that out there.
  6. killerbanshee

killerbanshee New Member

I'm not too worried about onstar I never use it anyway. I do however want to keep the door chimes and the turn-off delay functioning. What problems did you have? Nice truck btw
  7. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member

My only issue was that when using onstar had extreme amounts of engine noise while using onstar. Other then that worked fine. But, if you dont want onstar there are modules that are half the cost that will keep everything else running.

I use onstar, I get a reduced rate from insurance company so for a little extra overhead on my part its pretty much free .. I know people use that, I just had a bad experience. Could have just been a defective module from the factory. I had to go to local audio shop and buy the much much more expensive one but worked like a charm.
  8. thrasher

thrasher New Member

You might be able to find those adapters at Auto Zone. The local one here stocks them.
  9. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

10. killerbanshee

killerbanshee New Member

Checked autozone and no go. Pulled my radio and took pics of the plugs they dont match the ones on that harness. Metraonline shows one for $130 but my whole point was to try and get away from spending that on a harness. Looks like I might not have a choice. I'm not worried about the onstar I can lose it if need be, but I do want to keep the door chimes and radio turn off delay and I dont want to be dealing with trouble codes or anything.