1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

08 Silverado Headlight lens haze

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by rwmoorh, Aug 26, 2008.

1. rwmoorh

rwmoorh New Member

Has anyone else noticed a haze or foggy look on the inside of their headlight lenses on their 07/08 Silverados? I've had my truck since February and today was the first time I looked closely at the headlights. I was opening up a gate early this morning, as I often do and I had the high beams on and for some reason I stood back and looked at the headlights. The drivers side lens was hazy and when I tried to wipe the lens clean, I noticed that it was on the inside, rather than the outside. The other headlight was crystal clear. It wasn't a case of moisture on the inside. I looked more like the haze you get on the inside of your windshield.

I just wondered if anyone else may have noticed this with their truck and if it's something I can clean/fix, or does the dealer need to replace it?
  2. ukrkoz

ukrkoz Rockstar 100 Posts

you have leaking seal around lense. what will follow, condensate will, eventually, start liming the lense, turning it white from the inside.
    2 fixes for that:
    1. if you can, cut the seal and remove lense, wipe it all clean, and reseal the lense. some claim being able to do so, i never could, and i TRIED.
    2. fix i did on several cars, and very successfully. i dril about 4 holes in the lense, down at the very bottom edge, and about 3 more on the very top edge(4mm). also, on real bad lights, i drilled several holes in the housing itself. took care of condensate once and forever.

btw, as you have brand spanking new truck (what a quality i must say.....:grrrrrr:) dealeship should fix it for you. pretty much, replace it. don't fall for their "it's normal on rainy days and will go away on dry" sweet talk. except mitsubishes, none of our imports ever had fogging problem in headlights. all domestics did.
  3. rwmoorh

rwmoorh New Member

Thanks for the info. That's what I suspected was happening. What surprised me was that it's been dry here for weeks. This must have been residue from previous damp weather. I looked at it in the daytime, even with the headlights on and you don't see it.

I plan on stopping by the garage tomorrow.
  4. 07 redrado

07 redrado Rockstar

mine has a "fog" also. mine looks like it is in the plastic lens.i figured i wouldnt make much of an issue untill right before my warranty expires or it gets so bad i cant see. my third brake light is full of condensation though, all three lights. i will get that fixed sooner cuz i dont want watter to start coming in the cab.
  5. srtpro4mance

srtpro4mance New Member

I just got the killer headlight haze on my truck as well. Only had the truck 2 weeks and its becomming quite noticable.

:shocked:
  6. smpoulin1

smpoulin1 Member

Are you guys going through automatic car washes?
  7. 07 redrado

07 redrado Rockstar

my truck will never go through a auto car wash. hand washed every time.
  8. 04sierracrewcab

04sierracrewcab Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

same here .. and i going through an auto car wash or power washing you truck may be a reason for the "haze"
  9. rwmoorh

rwmoorh New Member

No Car wash for my truck either. As it turned out the haze was actually on the outside. The dealer got it clean. No one was sure what it was from or what caused it, but it looks great now!
  10. adidasboy918

adidasboy918 Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts