1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

'08 Silverado, smoke upon start up

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by BlackBowtie, Mar 4, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. BlackBowtie

BlackBowtie New Member

Hey guys,
    I noticed today that upon start up, I saw 3-4 seconds of white smoke.
    What could cause this?

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If it was a cold morning, it's just condensation.

3. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

on a cold start you will see water vapor , and even see water draining out the mufflers. if the engine is hot and you see white vapor that would be coolant. also it will have a smell to it.

4. Kuntryboy

Kuntryboy Member

if the smoke was blueish then its probably a leak of some sort.

5. BlackBowtie

BlackBowtie New Member

Kuntryboy,
    It did have a blueish hue. It was definitely something being burned off.
    where would the leak be coming from?

6. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

If the engine is cold, there is no exhaust heat to burn off any fluid.
    If the engine is hot, it is probably engine oil.

7. BlackBowtie

BlackBowtie New Member

Ok, so let me put this all together.
    I know it's engine oil because I'm always down 2 quarts within a span of 5,000km.
    Yes, this issue is happening at cold starts. This morning I stood behind it, used the remote start and thick, white, blueish smoke came out for 2-3 seconds, then exhaust vapours.

8. j cat

j cat Rockstar 4 Years 1000 Posts

the blue smoke on first starting was 100% on the chev/GM 305CU engines. the valve guides GM did not properly machine to prevent this. with a 2008 engine my guess would be a valve issue, possible seals.

if you have the AFM this may be serious . can also be the valve cover internal PCV system. may have had this fail with the use of non GM approved engine oils. sludge forms causing the crankcase venting system to not work correctly.

oil usage with the crankcase venting system failure is what happens.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2013
  9. geo1

geo1 Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I agree with j cat,one question for you is ,do you idle alot.amotor at idle is at high vacuum,pulling oil past valve seals.try shutting down quicker on end of commute to see if smoke lessons

- - - Updated - - -

add to; this is not operator error,simply a diagnostic aid in youre oil consumption

10. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Sounds Very familiar :grrrrrr: Do you have AMF? Have you seen blue smike out the back when driving at highway speeds? How many miles do you have?