08 silverado throttle body

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by mow_machine, Dec 15, 2011.

1. mow_machine

mow_machine New Member

And now this morning it went into reduced engine power mode, died, was able to start it again. Checked the codes and I can now add P2101 to list.

2. rdistrict2

rdistrict2 New Member

I am having the exact same problem. I can hear that racheting sound and it dies on me comeing up to red lights. I have all the same codes as well. I have orderd a throttle body and am going to swap it out tomm. Did you try a new throttle body? Just wondering if thats gonna fix my problem.

3. mow_machine

mow_machine New Member

It did! Wish I had time to fix it myself because the mechanic pretty much bent me over the hood with the bill!

Good luck!

4. rdistrict2

rdistrict2 New Member

I am expceting a new throttle body today and am going to install myself. I found a new one online for $80 and shipping was $70 (I wanted it shipped fast). The dealer wanted $320 just for the part!!! I will keep everyone posted on how that goes.

5. kwj427

kwj427 New Member

6. a.graham52

a.graham52 Rockstar 100 Posts

there is a bulletin recommending replacment of the throttle body cover to correct for this condition. ill do my home work and get back to you on this.

-----edit-----
    there is a LOT more to this bulliten but im having a hard time posting it. in a nut shell you remove the plastic cover on the throttlebody and replace with an updated part. then relearn the idle and depending on the year you reprogram the ecm.

[​IMG] Service Information
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

#11-06-04-007C: Diagnosis and Repair - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, Reduced Engine Power Message Displayed, DTC P2135 Set - (Nov 8, 2012)
    [​IMG]
    [TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD]Subject:[/TD]
    [TD]Diagnosis and Repair - Malfunction Indicator Lamp (MIL) Illuminated, Reduced Engine Power Message Displayed, DTC P2135 Set[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TABLE="width: 95%"]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 7%"]Models:[/TD]
    [TD]2008-2011 Cadillac Escalade Models[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD="width: 7%"][/TD]
    [TD]2009-2011 Cadillac Escalade Two-Mode Hybrid[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]2008-2009 Chevrolet TrailBlazer[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]2008-2011 Chevrolet Avalanche, Colorado, Express, Silverado, Suburban, Tahoe[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]2008-2011 Chevrolet Tahoe Two-Mode Hybrid[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]2009-2011 Chevrolet Silverado Two-Mode Hybrid[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]2008-2009 GMC Envoy[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]2008-2011 GMC Canyon, Savana, Sierra, Sierra Denali, Yukon Models[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]2008-2011 GMC Yukon Two-Mode Hybrid[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]2009-2011 GMC Sierra Two-Mode Hybrid[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]2008-2009 HUMMER H2[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]2008-2010 HUMMER H3[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD]Equipped with Engine RPO LFA, LY2, L20, LMG, LC9, LH6, LMF, LH8, LH9, L76, LS2, LY5, LY6, L92, L96, LZ1, L94 or L9H[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD="width: 7%"]Attention:[/TD]
    [TD]If a vehicle is encountered with this condition, DO NOT replace the throttle body. Instead follow this procedure below. ALL Model Year 2008-2011 vehicles MUST have the engine control module (ECM) reprogrammed with the latest software calibration as indicated in Step 35 of the procedure AFTER the installation of the throttle position (TP) sensor cover. ALL 2011 Model Year vehicles will receive the enhanced oil life monitor (OLM) algorithm as part of the new ECM calibration. The enhanced OLM algorithm will provide a maximum mileage of 7,500 miles (12,000 km) between oil changes.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [HR][/HR]This bulletin is being revised to add 2011 Model Year vehicles to the reprogramming statement in the Attention and to identify that the 2011 ECM calibration includes the enhanced oil life monitor (OLM) algorithm that has a maximum of 7,500 miles (12,000 km) between oil changes. Please discard Corporate Bulletin Number 11-06-04-007B (Section 06 – Engine/Propulsion System).[HR][/HR]Condition

Some customers may comment on an illuminated malfunction indicator lamp (MIL), with a Reduced Engine Power message displayed.
    The technician may observe on a scan tool DTC P2135: Throttle Position (TP) Sensor 1-2 Correlation set as Current or in History.
    Cause

This condition may be caused by the difference between the TP Sensor 1 and TP Sensor 2 exceeding a calibrated value for more than 2 seconds.
    Correction

[TABLE="width: 95%, align: center"]
    [TR]
    [TD]Caution: Handle the electronic throttle control components carefully. Use cleanliness in order to prevent damage. Do not drop the electronic throttle control components. Do not roughly handle the electronic throttle control components. Do not immerse the electronic throttle control components in cleaning solvents of any type.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD="width: 30"][/TD]
    [TD]Warning: Approved safety glasses and gloves should be worn when performing this procedure to reduce the chance of personal injury.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD="width: 15, align: left"]1.[/TD]
    [TD]With a scan tool, verify that DTC P2135 is set as Current or in History.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD="width: 18"]⇒[/TD]
    [TD]If DTC P2135 is set as Current or in History, proceed to Step 2.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD="width: 18"]⇒[/TD]
    [TD]If DTC P2135 is not set as Current or in History, refer to Diagnostic Trouble Code (DTC) List - Vehicle or Symptoms - Engine Controls in SI.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD="width: 15, align: left"]2.[/TD]
    [TD]Turn OFF the ignition.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD="width: 15, align: left"]3.[/TD]
    [TD]Open the hood.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 15, align: left"]4.[/TD]
    [TD]Remove the throttle body and discard the throttle body gasket. Refer to Throttle Body Assembly Replacement in SI.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]

[TR]
    [TD="width: 15, align: left"]5.[/TD]
    [TD]Remove any loose debris and dirt from the throttle body assembly and the TP sensor cover. Inspect the throttle body for damage.[/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    Caution Do not use any solvent that contains Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK). This solvent may damage fuel system components.
    [TR]
    [TD="width: 15, align: left"]6.[/TD]
    [TD]Clean the throttle body bore and the throttle plate using a clean shop towel with GM Top Engine Cleaner, P/N 1052626 (in Canada, P/N 993026), or ACDelco Upper Engine and Fuel Injector Cleaner, P/N 88861803, or an equivalent product.
    Caution Do not use any solvent that contains Methyl Ethyl Ketone (MEK). This solvent may damage fuel system components.
    [/TD]
    [/TR]
    [/TABLE]
    © 2012 General Motors. All rights reserved.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2012