Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

08 - Switching Captains Chairs to Bench Seating?

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Mustang5oh, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Mustang5oh

Mustang5oh New Member

Hey everyone,

My sister is now pregnant with her 5th child :gasp:and she and her husband own a 2008 Suburban XLT. The only problem is that they have the captain's chairs in the second row and it looks like they could use a little extra seating with all of these children. Has anyone swapped out the captain's chairs for a second row bench? I'm just looking to see how tough this job might be and what would be needed. I'm about to run through some old threads quick and see if I can find anything but any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Its actually a very simple procedure.. unbolt the capatins chairs and any console that may be installed (depends on the model) and bolt in the bench seat, make sure you get a middle seat belt at the same time, and you are done.. I think 8-12 bolts possibly a couple im missing, and the seat belt.
  3. Mustang5oh

Mustang5oh New Member

Simple as that? Thanks alot!
  4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Yes it is.. really, GM uses the same mounting positions for the bench and buckets. (all auto makers do this cheaper, and makes modding your truck easier)
  5. Alan Crosby

Alan Crosby Member

Did you mean LTZ instead of XLT? If so, then the captains chairs have heated seats and auto-fold down, so you would need to find a bench of a similar model if you want to keep those features. But carseats don't care if the seats are heated or not ;-)
  6. LHF63

LHF63 New Member

Bucket & Bench seat swap out

Hello murdog94,
    I read your post and also want to do this swap and glad to hear that it is so simple. Another question I have is, where is best place to find the bench seat? I have the (2007) tan leather and the Chevy parts folks said that they've discontinued these. Also, their price would've been over $2000 for the 60/40 seat, not including the seat belts.
    thanks!
  7. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Check your local wrecking yards, e-bay and the classifies sub forum on this site.
  8. Steph2012Suburban

Steph2012Suburban New Member

I have a 2012 Suburban with a 2nd row bench and I'm looking to go to buckets. Hoping to find someone to trade with! Check the forums as I've seen similar posts...
  9. mikey_1412

mikey_1412 New Member

I have buckets looking for a bench. Mine are black/ebony leather heated power folding. Not sure where you are located (I am in Little Rock AR) but I am willing to trade. Let me know
  10. Steph2012Suburban

Steph2012Suburban New Member

Looking for Black Bucket Seat trade near Charlotte NC

Hi, thanks for posting! That sounds great but we're pretty far apart (I guess about 12 hours driving) as I'm just outside of Charlotte NC. I'd really prefer that we can get together and look the seats over in person, and guessing shipping would cost quite a bit. If we don't have any luck in the next month or so, I'll reach back out and see if your buckets are still available. My Suburban is a 2012 but it was actually manufactured in very late 2011 (December). I think the swap would still work just fine, but thought I'd mention that. Thanks!