Newest Gallery Photos

1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

09 LTZ Z71 having oil pressure issues. 90,000 miles

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Pntypllr, Sep 2, 2012.

1. Pntypllr

Pntypllr New Member

We bought our 09 Z71 3 weeks ago, the 1st week we had the truck, 89,000 miles it started throwing misfire codes, i reset it and another would pop up. I asked the dealer we bought it from to reimburse us for the cost of plugs and wires...still waiting on that check.
    Now today, 1 sep 12 while on our way home the oil pressure gauge bottomed out, 0! We stopped, I checked the oil, it was ok, so I started it and watched the gauge. About 5 miles down the road, the oil pressure dropped again to 0! We were about 30 miles from home and every miles I would stop and restart it to make sure the pressure was coming back up, it made for a long 30 miles. Tomorrow I'm gonna change the oil, filter, and oil pressure sender, I hope it works!
    Any info on this issue would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks in advance

2. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If you made it home I'm gonna bet it's the sending unit. You didnt get any type of warranty with the truck?
    Does any of the original factory warranty still exist and does it cross over to the new owner at time of sale? Something to look at.

3. Pntypllr

Pntypllr New Member

Tim,

I have factory warranty til 100,000. The dealer I bought it from was a Ford dealer, and I am trying to get the Chevy dealer near me to work with me on it, I kinda feel bad cause its not their fault! but none the less I will be there tues if an oil change and filter dont fix it, only causeI cant get the sender today.

4. tbplus10

Dont feel bad, GM got their money at original time of purchase for the warranty so they arent out anything.
    Wouldnt be surprised if the sending unit was a dealer only item.
    Not sure if its coincidence or what but I've heard of a few newer trucks having this issue lately.
    Does your truck have the AFM system? Many of the trucks having this issue have AFM.

5. Pntypllr

Pntypllr New Member

I am not sure about the AFM, it is Flex Fuel. I made sure the motor had oil, and it never got noisy, or acted like it was out of oil, but that buzzer is so anoying! so every 5 miles we turned it off and restarted it, which made the oil pressure gauge work for about 5 miles

6. Pntypllr

Pntypllr New Member

Tim,
    I put half a bottle of Marvel Mysery Oil in it and it immediately got better, I drove about 100 miles and changed the oil and filter, now at idle the oil pressure stays at 40 psi, I hope it's fixed!

7. tbplus10

That would actually worry me, if it was the sensor it shouldnt be affected by an oil additive, I'm hoping in this case you have a short of some type that you accidently corrected when you were working on the oil change, how did the oil look is there a chance the filter couldve been plugged up and bypassing causing this issue?

8. Pntypllr

Pntypllr New Member

i am going to cut the filter open to see what was in it, but suprisingly the oil pressure hasnt gone below 40 psi

9. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

There could have been some trash inside the oil passage at the sensor. If your engine isn't raising hell, then your oil pressure is not really Zero!

10. Jeremy09LTZCrew

Jeremy09LTZCrew Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/sh...mption-Issue?highlight=pressure#axzz25NLouYwX

Please read that. Particularly the TSB toward the front of the thread. My truck had this issue and it's pretty common in our trucks. They also know exactly how to fix it. Get it in now while it's still covered under warranty. As the TSB states, the fix can be from a simple parts replacement to a whole new engine. You obviously don't want to get stuck footing the bill for a documented issue with our engines. Again, they know about the issue and know exactly how to fix it, but they have to definitively determine the issue applies. I don't know if your issue is the same as I had, but if it is, make sure you get the truck in ASAP and mention this TSB so they have a place to start.