1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

09 Silverado tow issue

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by speedracer170, Oct 25, 2011.

1. speedracer170

speedracer170 New Member

Ok I have an 09 1500 with the 5.3 with 4 speed tranny and 3:43 gears and it seems like it strugles pulling a 4500lbs toy hauler and only get about 8 MPG. What can I do to make it pull better and get better MPG?

Thanks,

[​IMG]
  2. Greg84

Greg84 Rockstar 100 Posts

I don't think there's much you can do about the mileage. Mine gets about the same mileage as that when I tow anything over 4,000 lbs. Even if you got a 2500 with the 6.0 engine, it'll have more power to tow but it won't get any better mileage towing (and the mileage when you're not towing will be much worse than your current truck!).

As far as making it pull better, what do you mean? More power, is the trailer pushing/pulling your truck around when you're going down the road, does it sag too much..?
  3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

you can try some aftermarket performance stuff first. CAI, exhaust, programmer etc. after that if you tow alot is a gear change to a 3.73 but it will affect non towing mileage some.
  4. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I had a 5.3 and wasn't impressed with it in the least, very weak motor in my opinion and I have 3 Silverado's in the last 5 years. My last two have been 6.0's and love em to death. I would say your biggest problem is the oversized wheels and tires, small motor and weak gears. 4.10 would make a lot of difference.
  5. speedracer170

speedracer170 New Member

It feel like I am pulling a very heavy load but I know i'm not, just think the trailer is creating alot of drag. I have an CAI and a exhaust, was looking at getting a programmer and a camper shell but I have heard they don't help much. I have a WD hitch with anti sway bars so it sits level. Do yall think the programmer and shell would help? I am looking at going with 3.73 gears for it but not sure if I have a 8.5 or 8.6 rearend.
  6. speedracer170

speedracer170 New Member

Anybody have any more info?
  7. bsmntcritr

bsmntcritr Member

Speedracer,
    You're getting about the same as most folks towing with the same equipment. I've towed a 6200lbs TT while carrying 2 400cc class ATV's with a '06 GMC 2500HD 2X4 reg cab 6.0ltr and got similar mileage. Now days it seems GM has shifted the power band to higher RPM's to clean up the emissions. Those higher RPM's are not real friendly to good mileage while the truck is working. I have been trying to find some credible information on if the aftermarket air induction packages are able to increase the mpg's - have found anything yet.
  8. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

As mentioned by dsfloyd, Going with a Tune, will help with getting a few more Pony's from the Engine, going with a camper shell will IMO just add weight and no gains......also going with 3.73's will once again help with Towing......as far as the rear gears you have.....8.625 Ring Gears.

Edit:.....also what Size Tires are you running??
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2011
  9. speedracer170

speedracer170 New Member

Tires are 275/65/18's, whats the best bang for the buck for programmers?

Thanks,
  10. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

I'd agree with dropping to the 3:73 rear. I get very good mileage with the 3:73's when not towing, and towing a 3500 pound boat on trailer combo I get about 13&1/2 mpg. Wind resistance may contribute some. You may need to reprogram your ECU if you re-gear. I'd search for an Eaton locker in an on-line boneyard and swap the whole banjo housing out, it's a pretty fast job. They are selling 5.3's complete for less than $1500 so a rear couldn't be that much.