1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1/2 ton to 3/4 ton axle swap.

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by whutdidyousay@yahoo.com, Jan 25, 2009.

1. I really suck at using search features... I'm sure this has been asked before.
    What all is involved if I want to put 3/4 ton axles under my 1/2 ton '89 suburban?
    I want to change the gear ratio and all, so a swap is best.
    I will be putting a Dana 44 in front and a 14 bolt in back. Both will be 3.73 gear ratio.

Do I need to change out the leaf springs too?
    If I do need to change them.... will truck springs work?

Will The drivelines need any modification?
    If so please explain............

If you have a better option let me know, but it needs to be cost effective.

Thanks!
  2. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

what axle is in the front at the moment? is it IFS?
  3. It's got a 10 bolt solid axle with 3.42 gears.
  4. Pete95Sierra

I would guess they would bolt right up, but the driveshafts may need to be changed. it is leafs up front right?
  5. yup! leafs up front....
    I hope the drivelines aren't an issue..... but if they are I need to buy more parts, so that's OK.
  6. Pete95Sierra

yea the expensive thing may be driveshafts. you could also maybe find a shop around you that will modify your stock one for you to fit also. will you be getting 3/4 ton leaf packs too?
  7. what do you mean leaf packs?
  8. Pete95Sierra

the leaf springs
  9. I'm not sure yet.... That's why I posted this thread. If I don't need the leaf springs I will just start buying the axles.... If I do need them I will look for a parts truck. That's why I asked if I needed them and if truck ones would work. Thanks.
  10. Pete95Sierra

the ones you have now should work. and how much are you looking to spend on axles?