1/2 ton to 3/4 ton axle swap.

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by whutdidyousay@yahoo.com, Jan 25, 2009.

1. I really suck at using search features... I'm sure this has been asked before.
    What all is involved if I want to put 3/4 ton axles under my 1/2 ton '89 suburban?
    I want to change the gear ratio and all, so a swap is best.
    I will be putting a Dana 44 in front and a 14 bolt in back. Both will be 3.73 gear ratio.

Do I need to change out the leaf springs too?
    If I do need to change them.... will truck springs work?

Will The drivelines need any modification?
    If so please explain............

If you have a better option let me know, but it needs to be cost effective.

Thanks!

2. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

what axle is in the front at the moment? is it IFS?

3. It's got a 10 bolt solid axle with 3.42 gears.

4. Pete95Sierra

I would guess they would bolt right up, but the driveshafts may need to be changed. it is leafs up front right?

5. yup! leafs up front....
    I hope the drivelines aren't an issue..... but if they are I need to buy more parts, so that's OK.

6. Pete95Sierra

yea the expensive thing may be driveshafts. you could also maybe find a shop around you that will modify your stock one for you to fit also. will you be getting 3/4 ton leaf packs too?

7. what do you mean leaf packs?

8. Pete95Sierra

the leaf springs

9. I'm not sure yet.... That's why I posted this thread. If I don't need the leaf springs I will just start buying the axles.... If I do need them I will look for a parts truck. That's why I asked if I needed them and if truck ones would work. Thanks.

10. Pete95Sierra

the ones you have now should work. and how much are you looking to spend on axles?