1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

10,000K vs 6000K HID

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by reggiecab2000, Jan 11, 2013.

1. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

heres some pictures i took while switching my HID's i currently have (10000K) to my whiter light (6000K)

here was 10,000K before...

photo 1.jpg

here is 6000K (left) and 10000K (right)

photo 2.jpg

heres 6000K, (my new setup)

photo 3.jpg

here is 10000K (left) and 6000K (right)
    photo 4.JPG

all 6000K
    photo 5.JPG

thought this might help some people with first hand experience on the color difference between the two.
  2. Kady

Kady New Member

Are those 55w or 35 w cause that makes a difference.?
  3. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

\

This is true.. Are you using the same Ballast? and what is the Wattage of it?
  4. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Based on the amount of glare and the fact that I've seen Nak's truck (which has 35w HIDs in it) and his doesn't do this, I'm betting on 55w HIDs. And if they're not 55w then I'm baffled as to why there's so much glare.

Consider that what the camera sees a human coming toward you also sees. That big ball of white and the angled bands of light constitute glare that the camera has captured. Depending on the angle of approach of the onlooker, that could be blindingly bad.
  5. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

it is indeed 35W, and i am using the same ballasts as before, actually from a previous thread i posted I am shocked as to the incredibly miniscule amount of glare my headlights produce. there is practically no glare in these headlights the only reason you may think so from the forward facing pictures is because i have yet to adjust my headlights after taking my grill guard, bumper, and valance off my truck (about 150 pounds total) so yes they are shooting up more than necessary but i will be re-aiming to DOT specs tonight (2" drop at 25 feet)
  6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Ahh that makes sense. And 35w? Surprisingly bright for 35w.
  7. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

yessir it is indeed 35 Watts, my one saying i apply to people who try to judge light output based on photographs, there is no comparison to the human eye when judging light output, a camera can make it look amazing, or can make it look pathetic, it all comes down to what you see in person.

Ive ordered 4 different sets of bulbs and ballasts through intensehid.com, the bulbs i just swapped out (other than sitting for about 2 years) have lasted more than 4 years now. and my other sets of bulbs and ballasts have never failed either (knock on wood). Best website HID source i have used for my needs.
  8. Kady

Kady New Member

I agree with Reggie, I was trying to take a picture of the amazing sunrise his morning on my way to work, and what looked like a beautiful cotton candy sky from anyone's view, looked like a giant fireball from my camera (on my phone) which usually takes really good pictures....

- - - Updated - - -

I honestly wish I would have gone with 6k. I have 55w 10k in my Tahoe. Bright, probably too bright... Just not feeling it anymore.
  9. reggiecab2000

reggiecab2000 Member

the only difference between 6k and 10k is color, 6k is way closer to white (4300K is pure white) so if you were to switch to 6k your light would be whiter, but if you think its too bright right now, 6k will actually be brighter too. the farther you get from 4300K, the more usable light output you lose, so technically at 10k you have alot less light output but its still at least 2x brigther than halogen

oh and the only real reason i switched to 6k from 10k (I absolutely love 10K by the way!!!) was because I really just dont want to take a risk for cops to pull me over for any pity reason, they always take advantage, I'd rather put normal white light on my truck and not run the risk of driving by a bored cop one night on the way home from a bar, and him wanting to pull me over for having what he would say is "blue" light, then he smells alcohol, then..... just avoid the situation.

***Im using alcohol purely as a reference, but my point is you give them a reason to pull you over, theyll find something to ticket you for.
  10. Kady

Kady New Member

I understand how they work, And that's why I wanted 6k, And now I'm sick of the blue, I've had aftermarket HID's for ever, and when I first had them, I barely saw anyone with them in my area. Now it seems like every car going down the road has super blue lights, and I just don't want to be like them...