10 Bolt rear end Locker problems

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by Afida15, Jul 22, 2009.

1. Afida15

Afida15 New Member

I have a 2003 Suburban with the 5.3. anytime we take a right or left turn the rear end locks. i understand its supposed to lock when one of the wheels spin but when your going around a turn the inside wheel is supposed to free wheel. we still have the window sticker and its got the locker option on it for like $225 dollars more. we took the rear cover off and found that some of the spider gears are chewed up. does anyone know where i can start looking to get parts to rebuild the locker?

2. Toolman

Toolman Member

I happen to do some machine work for a rear-end shop around the corner from me and I've seen GM spider gears chewed up with less than 20K on them. Known problem with the little rear end. I don't think I'd waste the time rebuilding the stock diff. when a Detroit True-Trac is much superior. Depending on were you purchase one, they run around 450 bucks. You get a quality product that's actualy machined parts.

I have them in my 2wd Silverado and in my 4wd Ramcharger and never put chains on in the winter.

3. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

you can also go for the gm posi (prodution code g80) which will work out nicely

4. Jimmiee

Jimmiee Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Don't buy any parts until you take it apart, clean it up, and see what damage has been done. There will be more damage than you can see from the outside and it may be cheaper to but a new posi.