10 ply vs. 8 ply tires

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by black-ltz, Mar 29, 2010.

1. black-ltz

black-ltz New Member

I have an 07 NBS Silverado which I just had a Truxx levelling kit installed on. I'm tossed between tire choices. I am going with Nitto Terra Grapplers either in 285/70/17 or the 295/70/17. The 295's are an 8 ply and the 285's are a 10 ply. Are the 10 ply tires too stiff a tire for a 1500 pickup? or am I better to go with the 295 because of the softer ride. I has 10 ply tires on a Tacoma previous to this truck and it was a pretty harsh ride. Just wondering if the Chevy is that much heavier to compensate? Thanks for the help.

2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I would go with the 10 ply. They are most likely made out of a tougher compound than the 8 ply anyways. Plus, there would be less of a chance of tire rub with the 285.

3. 1flyfisher

1flyfisher Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

8 ply is way more than enough. 10 ply is good for heavy duty off road and heavy loads from what a tire shop guy told me.
    GM puts P rated tires on their 1500 line of pickups, suvs and vans. You are stepping up from P rated tires to LT rated tires....unless you have a real legitimate need for 10 ply get the smoother riding 8's.
    A good LT rated tire is plenty good for basic off road driving.
    Nitto Terra grapplers are a good tire.

4. lsutoms

lsutoms Rockstar 100 Posts

i dont know about a rougher ride... but i have the terra grapplers 285/70/17 and i think if i would have gone with 295 they would have rubbed... and i have a 2" leveling kit... if you dont need the 10 ply for hauling though i would look for a smaller ply tire for the chance of a smoother ride and also cheaper price.. i think mine are 6 ply... not sure though

5. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I doubt it is gonna make that much of a difference between 8 and 10 ply. However, I would just go with the 295 cuz I like bigger tires and there is that chance that they ride a little better

6. drwdominance

drwdominance Rockstar

I have 10 plys on my 1500 and they ride great. I would choose the wider tire as well just for looks.

7. Silverado Junkie

Silverado Junkie Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

Ive always used 10 plys on my truck and its worth it. Id also go with the 295, its just a tad bit taller and wider and might ride smoother since it has more sidewall.

8. black-ltz

black-ltz New Member

Thanks for the input. I went to Kal Tire and looked at both today. The 295's look huge on the rack compared to the 285's. I know there is not alot of difference between the two but it sure looks alot bigger for some reason. The 285's are the 10 ply tire, that is why I was considering the 295's as they are an 8 ply tire. Not quite sure which way to go. I'm wondering if the 295's may rub. I'm mounting them on Moto 951 and they seem like they stick out a bit further because of the offset.

9. bwoodmiles

bwoodmiles New Member

KAL TIRE!!!!!!!! AHHHHH they are the McDonalds of the tire world!!!!!! anyways go with the 285/70R17s and get them in a 6ply thats all you need for a 1500 and you will also save a bunch of money, if they dont have them in stock get them to order them, there are lots around in 6 ply and should be about $40-50 cheaper you only need an 8 or even 10 ply for when hauling really heavy loads around ie. camper or truck full of sand / dirt.

And shop around before buying there, you will find cheaper.

10. tlperry68

tlperry68 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Well I have 285/75/18 Terras on mne. The ride is good, great traction in everything (avent tried snow yet). After 30 K miles I still have another 10 K or more to go. That includes a few burn outs too, heavy towing and good off roading.