1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

10 year makeover on my 2001 s-10 (custom paint)

Discussion in 'Photo & Video Gallery' started by TRPLXL2, Sep 11, 2010.

1. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 New Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

This thread is going to be full of pictures, so reader beware of slow upload speeds! Basically a partial frame off, and a new two tone paint job with flames. This is kind of unique i think because me and my boyfriend are doing all of the work, he is doing the two tone paint and i am doing some custom airbrushing on it with some pin striping. I bought a devilbiss dagr airbrush from tcp global, and my boyfriend has a devilbiss hvlp gti gun that runs on 9lbs. Of pressure to reduce overspray. I bought 3 gallons of paint off of ebay for $77 a gallon shipped, i am still going to drive this truck in the winter so no $5,000 paint jobs for this old girl...........yet!

The colors are as follows, sublime green for top of truck above door handles, gloss black for below door handles, and tahitian blue metallic for the flames/graphics. I also bought a bag of crushed blue pearl to mix in the clear coat, the whole truck will be sprayed in it and it will have a color changing effect. This is all being done outside and in a garage, definately not professional but not rattle can either.

I will continue to update this thread as progress is made.

Attached Files:

2. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member

Happy Birthday, to your truck. Happy Birthday, to your truck.

Sweeet! Keep us posted.
  3. Als09Sierra

Als09Sierra New Member 1000 Posts

That paint scheme sounds sweet. Can't wait to see it.
  4. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Sounds like a good combo for a custom job.. Keep us posted for sure!!!
  5. clgoch187

clgoch187 New Member

yeah keep the pics coming.
    and just a little advise here: i would get some mid-coat clear or a base coat binding agent to put your pearl in, just to help keep it even. or you could just dump it in your base and have a less dramatic effect.
  6. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Active Member 1000 Posts

That sounds great Amy! Hope everything goes as well for both of you! Look forward to updates! From all of your past rides, I can already see how this will turn out!
  7. TRPLXL2

Finally!

Alright here are some more pictures of the process, surprisingly that bed was pretty heavy with only me and my boyfriend lifting it off. The spare tire was completely froze up and would not drop, so we grinded the bolts off and got rid of it completely! Thats in lieu of new exhaust next summer, the stock one has a hole in the muffler. The underside of the truck was rotted worse than I expected, but we sandblasted it to hell and made it a little bit better.

100_2703.jpg 100_2705.jpg 100_2704.jpg

Attached Files:

8. TRPLXL2

I took 1/8" fine line tape, and layed out the flames by hand to get a nice smooth outline. Then I took some frisket paper, and layed it over the whole hood and pressed it down firmly. I used a sharp razor blade and cut on the fine line tape, and then peeled back the negative pieces to reveal the flames. It took about 4 hours to do just this step alone.

100_2760.jpg 100_2757.jpg 100_2758.jpg 100_2759.jpg
    Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  9. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

Amy.....Looks Great.......:great:.....My hats off to you,There is a lot of Time and Work in what you have done on the Hood.
  10. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts

The hood looks great.I love that color!