1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

105mph and something gave up....

Discussion in 'Other GM Cars' started by tigersdl65, Feb 16, 2013.

1. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 Rockstar 100 Posts

Hi guys. Sad news, a buddy of mine bought a 1971 el camino last weekend. Great clean car. Anyway tonight we decided to put her to the test, found us a good straight flat road and went off petal to the floor. We used a GPS to read out our speed, we hit 105 and BAM car is making so much noise. We get out and the drive shaft is sheered off, exhaust destroyed, brake cables cut. The front U joint is gone and the tail of the tranny case is cracked, smells of tranny fluid because its leaking everywhere. Question being, did the tranny give up or the U joint or the drive shaft? As far as we know the car had the original drive shaft and U joints. We do know it had 3.73 gears installed(the reason we needed a GPS to get our speed). I assume we lost our tranny because we couldn't get the car in park to start the engine.

2. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Bummer Well you found the weakest point of the car The hard way.. Time to fix it and make it better..And post some pics...

3. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

U joints would be my guess. Your lucky that it didn't ricochet off the ground and hit the gas tank. Seen that happen quite a few times, drive shaft loops around $40 it's a good investment.

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

More likely trans or U-Joint, but doesnt really matter at this point because it sounds like everything needs to be replaced.
    At least the vehicle wasnt wrecked and requiring bodywork, it just needs some mechanicals and it can be back on the road.

5. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Hope you guess did it the safer way with no one else on the road because it could've ended with all of us learning about two guys in a El Camino that died. Hope you get the old girl back together. I suggest a stronger tranny from http://www.chevroletperformance.com/ and a transmission controller. The U-joint and shaft should be easy to find also check all the bearings every where and make sure the engine isn't leaking anything.

6. Pikey

Pikey Moderator Staff Member 3 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

The front ujoint is gone? I have seen the rear one go and cause the trans to crack at the nose because of the shaft swinging around on it. I have seen front u-joints break 2 times. Both times it was at low speeds and the driveshaft dug into the ground and folded it in half. I have a friend that said that he said he saw one break on the freeway and the driveshaft dug into the ground, acted like a pole vault and flipped the vehicle end over end. I can not speak of how true the second example is because I did not see it happen myself. I saw the aftermath.

7. tigersdl65

tigersdl65 Rockstar 100 Posts

Unfortunately I wont have any pics to post because we were too shaken up to think about pics and I wont see the car for a while. Here is a link before hand: http://instagram.com/p/VxsHdpPq_Q/. Something I forgot to mention is that there is a trail of tranny oil from where it broke so that offers insight. Yes, the front U joint is gone, I mean we didn't find it and the drive shaft disintegrated, found no trace of it. Luckily we were pretty safe about it and did it at dusk on a long straight road with farm land on either side, so nothing and no one to hit. My buddy suggested I follow him in my Z71 and for this^^^^ very reason I said NO. The car will most likely get a 4 speed manual now. We are just glad it quit close to home and not on a road trip.