Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

12 Captiva 2.4 issues

Discussion in 'Chevy Captiva Sport Forum (Saturn Vue)' started by Krull, Nov 20, 2013.

1. Krull

Krull New Member

Taking my 12 Captiva 2.4 in for service Nov 22nd, having the following issues below, also wondering if anyone else has similar problems.

27k miles

1. Headlights and interior lights have started flickering at idle. Also when I turn on my blinker or depress the brakes, I notice my headlights dimming down for a split second. (I'm guessing a bad alternator or battery).

2. Volume control on steering wheel is very tight to operate / broken.

3. Drivers door intermittently will not unlock via fob or when putting the SUV in park.

4. all 4 Power windows sometimes will not go down.

5. Transmission 6T45(MH7) has always had a lot of issues. Eco mode on and off.

A. Consistently stays in 5th gear going downhill for 10 seconds.
    B. When cold, slips between 1-2 gear badly, after its warm it seems fine.
    C. Rolling slowly in parking lots, between 1-2 and 2-3 it sometimes slams into gear and feels like I have been rear ended.
    D. Highway, sometimes kicks to 3rd gear revving 5900RPM+ for no reason. Turning off cruise control results in a very loud deceleration noise. It stays stuck in 3rd gear for 5-10 seconds then shifts back to 6th.
    E. Multiple times under heavy acceleration in the city, stays stuck in first gear, revs to red line, very loud deceleration noises, after 5-10 seconds it begins to shift and operate like normal.
    F. Setting cruise control at 72MPH right after a fast acceleration on the highway results in the suv downshifting to 3rd gear, revving 5900 RPM and staying stuck there for 5-10 seconds.

Disconnecting the battery for 2 hours did not help; the transmission seems stuck on stupid, just plain bad transmission programming. Hope there is a software update that can fix it.

6. Belt chirps at startup, also chirps loud if the AC is turned on.

7. Engine idle is horrible, it’s always on the edge of stalling, the entire SUV jumps, rocks, shakes, jars passengers constantly at idle, feels like a 3 cylinder. I have complained to the dealer 4 times already and they say its normal. Passengers are laughing at me it idles so badly. Envision an gnome under the hood with a switch turning the engine off and on at random real fast, that’s my engine idle. (Maybe a bad alternator, timing chain or bad battery could be causing this?)

I have tried a new air filter, new spark plugs at 15k, 8 bottles of chevron techron have been put through the gas tank, nothing helps the idle.

8. From a cold start, the engine chatters very loudly, sounds like it has no oil in it. Slow in a parking lot 1000-2000 RPM, louder on deceleration. Premium gas does not help, after it warms up it goes away.

9. Drivers window does not go up all the way while driving on the highway in high winds; it gets stuck in the molding. Reported this already, they put silicone on the molding, but it never fixed it.

Nothing but trouble with my last 3 Chevys, not sure why I keep buying them, this one will likely be my last, and I may have to ditch it soon if GM does not support it.
  2. Camaro69car

Camaro69car Member 1 Year 100 Posts

I'm having issues 1,5,7.

7 seems like the timing is off on the motor. I have the 3.0 and still have these issues.
  3. Conlan Rose

Conlan Rose Active Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

To be honest I'm not surprised there are issues with a vehicle in its first few model years in the US. The change in programming and changes that must be done to meet EPA regulations can cause a non-purpose built vehicle to have random issues. Also GM tried way to hard to add alot of new stuff in the Captiva which used to the the Saturn Vue. But I'm really surprised that the dealers are refusing to try to find the issues and try to correct them.
  4. Camaro69car

I know... I hope all this gets fixed. the hard shifting is caused by "Torque Management" I am still locating a fuse I can pull to disable that sh*t. its so annoying, and along with the throttle by wire. ITS MY POWER AND I WANT IT NOW!!! just my rant.
  5. Krull

Krull New Member

Not good to hear that a 3.0 is doing some of the same things as my 2.4. I'm taking it in to the dealership tomorrow morning with my list, will let you guys know what they say. The lights flickering at idle seems to have slowly progressed in the last month, maybe I'm crazy and its always been there. Waiting in a fast food line, with the front courtesy lights on at idle, my cabin flickers like crazy. With the engine idle bucking like a horse, the lights dim down real bad as the SUV sits on the edge of stalling. I remember sitting at a red light at 2AM with a police car waiting in the other direction, surprised he didn't pull me over asking why I was flashing my headlights at him. Its embarrassing at every light, the headlights are flickering, and dimming way down with each stumble of the engine (every few seconds).
  6. Camaro69car

yes, its terrible. It's like GM retarded the timing too far in the ECU map at idle. If you hit the gas hard off the line, it sounds like the valves are tapping the cylinders. its terrible. Have you taken the truck to the stealership before to have the ECU scanned? it may have a rental car companies ECU flash like mine did. just had mine flashed back to stock not too long ago, havent been paying too much attention to the captiva though.
  7. Krull

Krull New Member

I read about the dealership finding a 3rd party programming in your ECU. I'm going to ask them to check mine tomorrow. If it has a rental tune, hopefully they will flash it for free since it's the same dealer I bought it from. In my opinion, they should have put it back to factory before selling it. I have had it to the dealership before, but never told them about the transmission acting funky. The valve cover gasket was leaking at 15k miles, so while they were fixing that I had a 2013 GMC Terrain 2.4 for a weekend. Exact same engine/trans as the Captiva. It shifted fine, idled fine, no issues or complaints about it.

I don't understand how my idle and trans is so bad, in the past regarding the idle (I complain about it every time I take it in), they say its "operating as designed". It won't idle smooth so it’s always on my list of issues when I take it in, this will be the 5th time I have complained about the rough engine idle. If they can add an extra 50 or 100 RPM to the idle it would probably fix it. If I turn ECO mode off, I hear the idle go up slightly, but it still spits and sputters the same. If they are just trying to save gas, it is at a high cost to the consumer being jarred and rocked and headlights flashing at idle, it’s just not right. I'll take a 1MPG hit; just make the stupid thing idle smooth.
  8. Camaro69car

I wish you the best of luck with your 2.4. As for the programming of my ECU, That has resolved my idle issues. and improved my transmission but not resolved it all together.
  9. ChevyFan

ChevyFan Administrator Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Glad to hear it was mostly software. What else is going on with your tranny.
  10. Camaro69car

Still shifts hard every now and then. very sluggish shifts. typical nonsense.