1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

12' Chevy Captiva Sport V6 - Muffler Rattle

Discussion in 'Chevy Captiva Sport Forum (Saturn Vue)' started by Camaro69car, Dec 20, 2013.

1. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

Finally took my truck into an exhaust shop to look at possibly getting an aftermarket setup due to this issue, and the fact that the Dealership near me wouldn't do anything about it.

The exhaust shop said that there was a spot weld for the heat shield that broke. I'm going to take it to the dealership 1 more time before plan B (cut the B**ch off and run a straight pipe from the axle back)

Anyone know how a straight pipe would sound on a 3.0L V6?

duals will start with a Y pipe at the rear axle. Was thinking about rigging up a cutout to use for the 1 side, and put a muffler on the other. but thats illegal in the state of VA.
  2. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

UPDATE:
    Appointment Saturday morning at the stealership to diagnose the part. then order the replacement. since the stealership wont just tack weld the piece back on. So they're going to waste a whole bunch of time and money to replace everything from the manifold back because it's all 1 piece. I even called GM corporate to ask them if I can take it to a muffler shop and have them send GM warranty the bill, and they declined that. It would certainly be quicker/cheaper to have that done than to just replace everything.

oh well, at least they give me a free car wash.
  3. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

RESOLUTION!

Dealership replaced the entire exhaust system from the flex pipe back (all 1 piece) and now the rattle is gone.

Warranty spent over $1K to replace all of that. Glad it wasn't me. But I would have rather cut the B**ch off and straight piped it for $200.
  4. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

It's starting again............

:grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr::grrrrrr: We really need a "ripping your hair out" smiley...
  5. Enkeiavalanche

Enkeiavalanche Moderator ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

That was Quick... I say a side Nascar Pipe would look sweet..How would it sound?? Not sure..
  6. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

Not to mention my passengers legs will be nice and toasty.

Still going to keep the duals out the back, just going to eliminate the 2nd muffler under the back of the storage compartment.

I'll be happy because it's gonna be LOUD!!!
  7. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

UPDATE:

REPLACEMENT #2

Took the truck back into the service department today for the exhaust, and yet again, one of the spot welds on the muffler broke.

ordered another $1200 exhaust system replacement.

truck is still under warranty and has about 32K miles on it or so.

unfortunately GM will not pay for me to get the repairs done at a local muffler shop.

I have narrowed down the problem to a design flaw in the muffler. The muffler itself is thicker than the heat shield that is spot welded to it. It doesn't take a genius to figure out that different thicknesses of metal expand & contract at different rates.

I hope I can one day save GM $1000 by just having them buy me a straight pipe for the back end and call it a day.
  8. Camaro69car

Camaro69car New Member

34K on the truck now. and yet again, the muffler is rattleing. the last tech said it was some sort of baffle in the muffler... I'm thinking its about time to just cut it off.