1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

12v air compressor or hand or foot pump

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Jamm3r, Feb 11, 2014.

1. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

For some years I've been in the habit of carrying an air compressor and tire plugs in my cars.

It is my experience that at least 50% of punctures can be patched in place providing a faster and, depending on the situation, safer means of getting back on the road than installing a spare. The tire can then be dismounted and a more permanent repair made at a convenient time.

However I am concerned that the inexpensive 12v air compressors I have (there's one in each car so I don't want to pay for really good ones), now several years old, may not prove reliable in the hour of need.

Wondering whether anyone has figured out a system that works for them, whether with a 12v compressor, a manual pump, or CO2?
  2. summitwhite11

summitwhite11 Member 100 Posts

Actually you will find this in more cars than not today, Tire sealant kits , its a can of fix a flat that works with a 12v air compressor, when you use it, you simply return to a dealer for a refill or a new kit, around 20 to80 bucks retail. Many of the kits come with a plug set up as well. This is only one version.
    Fix-A-Flat-tire-sealant.jpg
  3. Rocketmanh5

Rocketmanh5 New Member 100 Posts

I used to keep a small air compressor under the tool box that I made brackets for in case of emergency. Also had a hose reel under there. Compact enough to tuck under yet strong enough to run an impact. I never trusted the small ones as they do not put out enough to air up a Murray mower tire. So instead of spending $125 on a decent portable system I did it right the first time. Speaking of which I need to put mine back in! Got messed up in the wreck..

You can also check and see what small compressor will fit in the drivers side battery tray if your not already using it. There are some that are small enough that would be perfect for just that.