14 Bolt 3rd member swap Q

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Jake2670, Nov 17, 2013.

1. Jake2670

Jake2670 New Member

I have a 84 dually that PO swapped the 4.56 gear for he said a 3.54, but I'm thinking after a tow the other day its even higher. My Q is, I have a Military single 14 bolt with 4.56 (should be), are they the same 3rd member? Also, if memory serves, can't I just pull 3rd member n not have to setup gears :) PO at same time of gear swap had shop put a NV4500 n, so I don't see any prop with highway running at 80? anyone running 4500 with 4.56 on 265/75s 5th at present is pretty much worthless, truck has 6.2L with banks kit.

thanks,

- - - Updated - - -

I know, its a carrier, not a 3rd member, but still, no one going to say anything ???

2. MrShorty

MrShorty Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I am not an expert on setting up gears, but I know that you will need to swap out both the ring gear and the pinion gear to change gear ratios (ring and pinion are considered a matched set and should always be changed together, if my understanding is correct). I don't see any way, even using used parts, to change the gear ratio without going through the process of setting up the gears.

3. Crawdaddy

Crawdaddy ↑↑↑ Has no life Staff Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You will definitely have to re-set the gears.

4. Jake2670

Jake2670 New Member

yeah, was thinking 14 was like ford 9, but another group said 14s r easier to setup ?? anyway, the other part was, whats diff between the SRW n DRW 14s

thanks guys,