1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

15" Rims On My 1990 K1500?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by MCrewsZ71, Jul 12, 2012.

1. MCrewsZ71

MCrewsZ71 New Member

I'm thinking about down sizing from my 17" rims to some 15s to save on tire costs while adding, in my opinion, a meatier look. I've heard from some that the brakes are too large and others say they've done it. The stock size is 16". Thanks for any input!
  2. Crispyt

Crispyt New Member

I have a 1995 C1500 that came with 16in. rims. But I ended up going to o 15in. rims because I got some american racing rims for a good price and they fit without any problems. I dont know for sure if it would be any different because yours if 4WD but as far as I know you shouldn't have any problems. What you can try to do is jack up your front end and go under the truck so you are looking at the backside of yor rim. Then see if you can measure the clearence between the rim and the brake caliper.
  3. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Active Member 1000 Posts

I've seen 15 inch rims on trucks of that era. Almost bought a 98 Z71 that had 15 inch American Racing rims but not sure what the offest was.
  4. SupplySgt

SupplySgt New Member

I think more trucks from that era came with 15s than 16s. My Burb has 15s and it would have been a fairly high end model when it first came out.
  5. K15 Blazer Guy

K15 Blazer Guy New Member

You could always go to a tire shop and ask for a fitment check with what they have in stock, and then order what you would like.

then you have the dimentions you KNOW will work, and you can shop arround.

I may want to do this as well... 15"s are a cheaper size.... the 6 lug pattern though may not be worth it. let us know what you settel on =) and post some pics!!
  6. MCrewsZ71

MCrewsZ71 New Member

Well the guys at the tire shops are giving me different answers so I think i'm gonna stop by my buddy's junkyard and "try on" some 15s and see for myself!
  7. Boonduff

Boonduff New Member

2wds of that vintage cam with 15s and 4x4s came with 16s but you can fit a 15 on the 4x4s. I ran a set of the old 15x8 Rally Wheels on my 1997 K1500 Sub for a few years.
  8. Jimmeh

Jimmeh New Member

Interesting to know what kind of back spacing is needed, though. Almost seems like too narrow and it would rub on the calipers when torqued down.