1500 4.8 headers

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by wheels321, Feb 17, 2011.

1. wheels321

wheels321 New Member

I was thinking about getting some headers for my truck its a 07 silverado 4.8liter. Should i go with the long tube or the shorty style? As far as the y pipe should i delete the cats except one due to state inspections, or get all of them replace with the high flow ones?

2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Shortly Headers, for the most part are a Direct Bolt-on....But will only give you Small Gains.....For Better Gains in Performance .....Long Tube Headers would be the way to go.....along with the Y-Pipe...but the down side is your Exhaust will need to be Re-Worked......As far as Deleting your Cats.....that's your Call......and Today's Factory Cats Flow Much Better than Most think they Do......Again your Call.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  3. stephan

stephan Rockstar 4 Years 5000 Posts

X2 on Mikes post. Go with the long tubes or you're just wasting your money. Don't get primary tube diameters larger than 1 5/8" inches or it will move your peak torque too high in your RPM range. 1 1/2" diameter primaries would be even better.
    As far as deleteing one cat & keeping one to pass your DEQ inspection...That won't work. The state inspectors know exactly how many cats your truck came with, & they do a visual inspection of everything, & they will fail you for this.

4. jbjohnson92f

jbjohnson92f Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

i read an article in truckin- they dynoed before and after a magnaflow cat install and it gained 10hp

5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

Welcome to the club. X3 what Mike said about long tubes. I like Dynatechs and AmericanRacingHeaders.

6. wheels321

wheels321 New Member

Thanks for all the help. Probably going to go with the long tubes. Not sure what brand I am going to go with yet. I will probably either keep the original cats or go with magnaflow since I already have that for my cat back exhaust system.