1500 4.8 headers

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by wheels321, Feb 17, 2011.

Newest Photos

1. wheels321

wheels321 New Member

I was thinking about getting some headers for my truck its a 07 silverado 4.8liter. Should i go with the long tube or the shorty style? As far as the y pipe should i delete the cats except one due to state inspections, or get all of them replace with the high flow ones?
  2. 99'HEARTBEAT

99'HEARTBEAT Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Shortly Headers, for the most part are a Direct Bolt-on....But will only give you Small Gains.....For Better Gains in Performance .....Long Tube Headers would be the way to go.....along with the Y-Pipe...but the down side is your Exhaust will need to be Re-Worked......As far as Deleting your Cats.....that's your Call......and Today's Factory Cats Flow Much Better than Most think they Do......Again your Call.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  3. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

X2 on Mikes post. Go with the long tubes or you're just wasting your money. Don't get primary tube diameters larger than 1 5/8" inches or it will move your peak torque too high in your RPM range. 1 1/2" diameter primaries would be even better.
    As far as deleteing one cat & keeping one to pass your DEQ inspection...That won't work. The state inspectors know exactly how many cats your truck came with, & they do a visual inspection of everything, & they will fail you for this.
  4. jbjohnson92f

jbjohnson92f New Member 100 Posts

i read an article in truckin- they dynoed before and after a magnaflow cat install and it gained 10hp
  5. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Welcome to the club. X3 what Mike said about long tubes. I like Dynatechs and AmericanRacingHeaders.
  6. wheels321

wheels321 New Member

Thanks for all the help. Probably going to go with the long tubes. Not sure what brand I am going to go with yet. I will probably either keep the original cats or go with magnaflow since I already have that for my cat back exhaust system.