1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1500 HD random questions

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by superUPer, Feb 5, 2011.

1. superUPer

superUPer New Member

I had a thread a while ago wondering about towing with 4.8L 1500. The debate was to keep it and put money into upgrading power and suspension, or get something bigger. Well guess what I did!

My new ride is a 2001 1500HD, which performed nicely during my move to AK. Lots of power, gas mileage difference with a load is hardly noticable. I guess 18-20 mpg is the only thing I miss about my old truck.

Anyway, I have a few questions about this truck.

#1:It has a 4" rancho lift and 285/75/16 Toyo tires. The front tires stick out about 2" more than the back. Not only does it look wierd, but if you go in any kind of mud or slushy conditions the driver's and passenger's windows get covered in junk. Is this normal? What can i do about it?

#2: It has all kinds of antennaes that I'm not sure what for. I figure the two by the mirror must be for remote start (Finally figured it's from Bulldog Security, the Deluxe 500 model. I didn't get the remote with the truck) and the other is for XM radio. I'm not sure what the two on the roof are for, maybe onstar and CB? Any ideas?

#3: I noticed water dripping when the weather got warm with snow on the roof, from the circled area in the pic. It came out of the crack around the rectangular cover. It turned into almost a steady stream when I got heavy on the brakes. WTF?

#4: Still trying to fix that 4x4....I think I'm on my own there, not much help on my other thread.

Attached Files:

2. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts

One of the other antennas could be onStar, a CB antenna is usually a whip type of antenna, but I could be wrong. As for the wheels sticking out, I'm guessing that the previous owner put some wheel spacers on the front wheels? Nice truck btw.
  3. superUPer

superUPer New Member

I've had the front tires off to replace a hub, no wheel spacers. The forward antenna on the roof is just a base- it has threads to attatch something longer like a standard radio antenna.
  4. randomsandwhich

randomsandwhich New Member

The only other reason for front wheels to stick out would be a wider wheel or a different offset. As far the antennas, The one by the taillight is definitely a satellite radio but looks from an aftermarket brand. The one by the front would be the xm antenna. As far as water, probably a leaky roof. Silicone should solve that. Nice truck though, looks like a beast !
  5. Taddpole

Taddpole Member

Nice looking truck. The antenna above the drivers side is for onstar ( I think I see an onstar button on your rear view mirror ) but the top half is missing. That's probably where the waters coming in. The antenna above the 3rd brake light With the small coax is for satellite radio. It looks just like my xm roady antenna, it's held on with a magnet. Do you have an aftermarket radio in the truck, if so you might be able to contact xm with the serial # and get it activated.

I don't know the story on the wheels but I know in the old days the K models had a slightly wider tread base in the front than the rear.

Enjoy that new truck.
  6. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

With that Rancho kit the front wheels have to have a maximum backspacing of 4.5". Pull the front wheel and tire and measure the backspacing. One reason the wheels have to have the 4.5" max backspacing is because of the taller steering knuckle that comes in the Rancho and most other lift kits. A 5" backspaced wheel would hit/rub the taller steering knuckle.
  7. superUPer

superUPer New Member

Well, I got my 4x4 figured out. Now I'm shopping for a transfer case. I'll pull the wheels off when I have it in the garage to measure backspacing. Now I just need to figure out what that threaded base thing is and where the leak is coming from for sure.

I'd like to get that satelite radio set up but I've heard reception is terrible here in AK.
  8. o3gerber

o3gerber New Member

The front tires usualy stick out just a little bit more than the rear, my s10 that i use to have and my 2500 does it too. I always just put a wheel spacer on the back tires to even them out a bit, but the only way to bring the front tires into the weel well more is to get a bigger backspaced rim, or you could look into some fender flairs to keep the slush and mud off your windows