1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1500 Hood/Grille Swap

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Accessories' started by sfdefender24, Mar 10, 2012.

1. sfdefender24

sfdefender24 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 100 Posts

So I've been looking around trying to get ideas for a new hood and grille b/c the stock stuff isnt cutting it for me anymore. As i was looking around online i came across another forum where a guy was talking about taking the grille and hood for a 2011 2500 HD and putting it right on too his 2010 1500. Has anyone tried this yet? I would like to do this to my truck after my next deployment.
  2. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

I'm curious to see if anyone has tried this, because I thought about it before too. I really like the look of the one-piece bumper and split grill of the newer HD trucks, compared to the half-ton.
  3. sfdefender24

Yea i was wondering if there was anyone on here b/c on another chevy forum that i came across today while looking around for this on google was talking about it. From what that guy was talking about he said he did the hood and grille from a 2011 and that it worked pretty good but had no pics of it. Im glad im not the only one looking for answers to this question. lol
  4. sstoner911

sstoner911 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

It can be done. I have heard that the 11-12 HD grill is slightly taller than the previous years but will work. Some guys say that had to trim here and there but for the most part its a straight over swap. The hoods are plug and play also.

Here is a 1500 with an HD grill.

Attached Files:

5. sfdefender24

yea for me i dont think i would have to work about trimming the new grille b/c i have my aftermarket front bumper, but from the post i just found on gmfullsize.com the 11s are a little smaller then the previous years and fit perfect with the 07.5-10s 1500s. i guess ill have to do it and let everyone kno how it turns out.
  6. sevi084x4

sevi084x4 Rockstar 100 Posts

See yah that look sick. I like the look of those grills alot

7. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Isn't the 2012 1500 grille the same style as the 2500 with the slit in the middle?
  8. sfdefender24

It looks very very similar to the 2500 from the trucks i have looked at. But I am not for sure if they are identical, for the reason as i dont know the dimensions of either grille.
  9. troutbug

troutbug Rockstar 100 Posts

Yeah, I didn't realize this. It's a similar looking grill, although I'd want the HD bumper too. Never was crazy about the stock bumper on mine.
  10. sfdefender24

I was doing more research on this whole front end swap last night into this morning and as i mentioned in an earlier post about gmfullsize.com but i realized that i didnt post the thread that i had found on it, here is the link i found- http://gmfullsize.com/forum/showthread.php?t=214115 the first post has the whole front end swapped over to the half ton. and it looks great.