18" Wheels

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by bigblue08, Jul 23, 2010.

1. bigblue08

bigblue08 New Member

I have a 2010 Silverado Crew Cab with the 4.8 and I was wondering if 33's on 18" rims would bog the 3.42 gears down or would the setup be fine.

Any info is appreciated.

2. Metaluzc

Metaluzc Rockstar 4 Years 100 Posts

I think you should be fine. Most people talk about re-gearing when you do 35" or taller tires. If you keep the 33" tires you could probably upgrade to 3.73 gears for some more oomph but I don't know if you truly need to go the 4.10 or 4.56 route.

3. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 5000 Posts

I think with the 4.8engine and 3.42 gears the 33 will be to much. It will feel like you have 3.08 gears with 33" tires.

4. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

I wouldnt go over 3.73 with 33s but yes oomph and keepign the milage the same is what you will get with regearing but if it isnt in the budget for now holding off wont hurt you.

5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

I would regear, I dont think you'll like your truck very much if you go with this combination.
    Performance and MPG will suffer badly and it'll probably be useless to try and tow anything.
    Before you regear I'd sit down and plan where the build on your truck is going, 3.73's or 4.10's would work but for your situation one might be a little to much and the other might not be enough.
    A hard decision either way but if future plans are for off-roading and adding more height and accessories to the truck I'd go 4.10.