1952 3/4 Chevy P/U decision

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Crakums_GT, Nov 28, 2009.

1. Crakums_GT

Crakums_GT Epic Member 5+ Years 500 Posts

I recently decided that looking for a 292 engine isn't getting me anywhere. After figuring that putting a 292 wouldn't keep the nestalgia of the truck anyway, I have decided to go ahead and go with a v-8 powerhouse since they're being sold all over the place here in ND and are cheaper to upgrade. If anybody has any experience with AD trucks, what would be a good v-8 to go with? I'm looking for the best fit in the engine bay. I will be gaining a bit of room when I put in the MII IFS front suspension. I have my big silverado so this truck will be my fast, fun truck. Any opinions are welcome even if they are suggesting staying with a 292. Thanks.

-Greg

2. Thundare

Thundare Rockstar 100 Posts

a good engine to put in a truck like that would be a 350 V8. best 350 engines are from 89-95 i think. long live the TBI!

i have a 52 1ton flatbed that has a small 305 engine in it, the guy put that in there for some reason.

3. SoCal Chevy

SoCal Chevy Rockstar 100 Posts

ive seen alot of hot rods pick ups at car shows around here and about 85% of them have 350's.
    plus if u do that u mite be able to get a tranny out of an older silverado to fit into it

u culd probly go with a 383 now that i think of it, theres no substitute for cubic inches after all :p

Last edited: Nov 28, 2009
  4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

A small block chevy, 350 or 327 will fit. Search on line theres a couple companies selling conversion kits for the motor mounts.
    I was watching a show a few weeks ago where they took a 350 and dressed it up with new valve covers and accessories to look like it came from a mid 50's chevy.

5. Crakums_GT

Thanks....I stuffed a 350 into my last 52 Chevy 3/4 ton but it got stolen. It barely fit. Anybody know how much bigger a 383 would be? Also how much would it cost to get a 350 or 383 bored and honed? Never had a shop do engine work for me. I can rebuild it myself but would need a shop for the machining.

-Greg

6. Crakums_GT

Disregard the 383 size question. I just read that a 383 is a build up off of a 350 block so the motor mounts wouldn't change. Don't have the money for a 383 build up at this time though so I'll probably get a 350 and save up money and do the whole upgrade at once. Just want to get this 52 on the road right now. Thanks again guys.

-Greg

7. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Alright well I told my dad about your truck problem, and he doesn't understand why you can't fit anything bigger than a 350 in that truck? I am a little confused as well, we have a ton of 53-57 Chevy trucks running around us with 502 BBC and BIGGER! Hot Rodding is about custom fabricating and making it fit, don't get me wrong the 350 is nice but I seriously think you can go a lot bigger in the future if you wanted. Here is a beautiful truck our neighbor recently sold, 53' Chevy stepside with a blown 350. This truck was a real screamer!

http://www.gmtruckclub.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=4481&stc=1&d=1259474551

Last edited: Dec 5, 2009
  8. Crakums_GT

Thank you. I know I can fit something bigger if I custom fab a fire wall, inner fender, etc... I just lack the money and tools to do so right now. Pluse this being my first build I don't want to go to far beyond my comfort zone just yet. My whole goal is to get it on the road right now. I'm sure down the road when I get higher in rank I'll be able to do a bit more but until then I think a 350 sounds like the best way to go. BTW do you know if that 53 is chopped or not? Just curious.

-Greg

9. TRPLXL2

TRPLXL2 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

No that truck is unchopped and completely original, he was a fanatic for keeping the body original. Now the suspension is another story, it has a Fat Man front end on it, with a 4 link floating suspension in the back. Narrowed rear end with CURRIE setup, and he also has AIR RIDE Technologies setup on all four corners. He dumped more in that suspension then my dad has in his whole 57' CHEVY LOL!

10. Crakums_GT

That's real nice. I definitely don't want to chop mine either. I'm going with a MII IFS on the front and a four link rear. I'm just planning on lowering it about with blocks for now until I can afford an airride system. Right now though I'm stripping mine down and looking for a 350 to rebuild. Just picked up an engine stand today from someone for 40$. I'm definitely open to hearing any suggestions since this is my first build. Thanks again.

-Greg