1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1966 chevy truck build thread "Project two tone"

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by 66 chevyman, Feb 27, 2014.

1. 66 chevyman

66 chevyman Member 100 Posts

1966 chevy truck build thread "Project two tone"

Been a member here awhile and enjoying it. Starting a build thread now. I have a lot to catch up on. lol. Hope you enjoy. Here is some history on the truck. It was bought in 66 brand new and used as a farm truck all of its life. The original stepside bed was removed and replaced with a home made flatbed. The truck was used to haul wood, scrap iron and misc. A buddy a mine found it in the guys yard down in a mud pit and was basically able to get it for free...so they worked on getting it started(don't know how long it sat) and after some cranking the ol gal fired off. It took two tractor I believe to tow her out of that pit. But to my surprised one day my buddy showed up in my driveway with it on a trailer and said I could have it(never kick a gift horse in the mouth!) and of course I took it and parked it...where it sat in the field for 5 years before I finally got to it. Unfortunately I don't have any pictures of it when I got it....but here is the closest one I could get...this is 1 year after starting the resto...enjoy. Tons more pictures to come!

- - - Updated - - -

And here it is now....I've been doing some priming and some engine work. The engine now has a much better HEI and runs way better then ever. I also have added a sidestep tool box that I made. 005.jpg 033.jpg 006.jpg 001.jpg 001.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Apparently something got screwed up. lol the older pictures are on the bottom and newer ones on top. :sign0023:

- - - Updated - - -

Something got screwed up. lol Apparently the newer pictures are on top instead of the bottom. :mad:

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      81.1 KB
      Views:
    • 007.jpg
      007.jpg
      File size:
      80.4 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      84.9 KB
      Views:
    • 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      82.4 KB
      Views:
  2. 66 chevyman

I painted the rear frame and also bought a new fuel tank. And here are some pictures of the sidestep tool box I made.

- - - Updated - - -

And here are just some more pictures...I make her quite useful in the fields. lol

Attached Files:

• 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      82.2 KB
      Views:
    • 023.jpg
      023.jpg
      File size:
      80.1 KB
      Views:
  3. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

Not too bad for the price. Looks pretty nice. (I'd get that Positive battery cable clamped down so it doesn't get the plastic jacket cut and short out on you. But it sure looks like a good ol truck to me. That is a very good year of Chevy !
  4. 66 chevyman

Thanks! Yeah its a fun truck! That battery cable has been on my mind. It actually has been that way since the factory. lol Thanks for posting.
  5. 66 chevyman

6. 66 chevyman

Installed a 1956 Bel Air hood ornament on the truck!

Attached Files:

• 002.jpg
      002.jpg
      File size:
      79 KB
      Views:
    • 001.jpg
      001.jpg
      File size:
      79.1 KB
      Views:
    • 005.jpg
      005.jpg
      File size:
      78.9 KB
      Views:
  7. 66 chevyman

8. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

Fix those wipers and stop bolting chrome on that classic truck, although I admit there is a certain grace in that hood ornament. The engine looks very nice, it works and looks like someone cares for it. Since the body is a little rough, you could experiment with some dent and crease removal and flat black primer the whole truck just to make her feel better. Get that sandpaper and a rattle can out and have some fun. If the floors haven't rusted out or the rockers, rustproof them now.
  9. 66 chevyman

LOL! Hey I like my chrome! Painting is on its way..the cab is rusted out in plenty of areas though, but I have a donor cab if I want to use it...engine is old and has suffered much abuse through the years, but is plenty pampered now. lol

Attached Files:

• 006.jpg
      006.jpg
      File size:
      79.4 KB
      Views:
  10. billnorman

billnorman Rockstar 100 Posts

You still have a nice year truck that's basically straight. There are rocker panels and lots of other stuff sold for those models fairly cheap. I have a MIG welder and have patched my '85 and slapped some bondo on the cab corners, welded patches in the doors. There's nothing like the sound of a 6 banger with duals.