1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1970 chevy swb 2x4 wanting to find best year 4x4 chassis

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by legendpc, Aug 29, 2010.

1. legendpc

legendpc New Member

I want to buy a 4x4 rolling chassis to mount my cab and bed onto. Does anyone have an opinion on the best year to mate with this truck? I have access to a 1978.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome aboard, i dont have an answere but i am sure someone on here does.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts

How mechanically inclined are you?
    If the 78 is a good running chassis it can make a good candidate.
    The most important issue is the wheel base, you need to take lots of measurements to line things up.
    Most projects like this start out with the decision to chop the frame to make everything fit, I dont think thats a good idea because it's real easy to get things so far out of whack you create an evil handling truck.
    After you measure your body and the donor frame you need to compare measurements to decide if it's feasable then look at body mount placement, odds are the body mounts arent just going to fit right together, it's going to take some fabrication to make things work right.
    Wiring should be about the easiest part of this project because both the body and frame are old enough not to require all the sensors and junk of newer vehicles.
    You can avoid some body fitment issues by going with a flat bed, this way if the body/bed is to long or to short you simply build you new bed to fit the length you need.
    This can be an awesum project but I doubt it's gonna be a simple bolt together affair, i think your gonna need to do lots of planning and fabbing.
    Good luck it should be neat when your done.
  4. rip5164

rip5164 New Member

Welcome to the club! Good luck with the project. Keep us posted on what you decide and how it progresses.
  5. lancer

lancer New Member ROTM Winner

i'm not sure if this will help or not but we took a 1977 4x4 chassis and put a 1984 2 wheel drive silverado body on it. we didn't have to do anything different than kick the old rusty 77 body off and put the 84 body on the frame. no major cutting or welding or anything, they pretty much lined up hole for hole. i've got pictures of it in my album if you want to see a finished project...........but then my dumba** sold the truck...............
  6. Eddie Z71

Eddie Z71 Active Member 1000 Posts

Hi, and welcome to the site! ​
  7. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome and have fun w/your project!
  8. legendpc

legendpc New Member

Thanks guys. All good advice. I think I will look for a 4x4 of the same year. A little more $ but lot less hassle. Thanks again
  9. retired2001

retired2001 New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the GMTC!
  10. Bigbomber

Bigbomber New Member 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club!