Newest Gallery Photos

1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1973-1987 Mud truck advice wanted

Discussion in 'Chevy Silverado Forum (GMC Sierra)' started by Josh Weber, Feb 22, 2012.

1. Josh Weber

Josh Weber New Member

I am looking to buy a Chevy truck between the years of 1973 and 1987 and would like any advice I can get on what year, model, engine and size of truck that would be recommended to buy to restore and use in mud bogs and trails?
  2. rileyjr16

rileyjr16 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

There is one for sale about 3 miles away from me. Looks like a mid 80s, has a 350, looks like 42-44 inch super swampers, reg cab. See alot of those trucks in the mud.
  3. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

That era truck is inexpensive to lift because of the leaf springs compared to the IFS trucks of today. The 350 that comes in those trucks have many options to add power to them. To answer your question I don't think you can really go wrong with a truck from those years. The limiting thing would be the quality of the trucks for sale in your area. I would look for a truck with a solid body and body mounts. Those SBC can be rebuilt for a small amount of money. The tranny I would look to would be a TH400.
  4. Josh Weber

Josh Weber New Member

Thank you for your advice any advice on whether to buy the k10 or k20 I have heard people talk about both saying that the K10 is good because of smaller axles and they do not push mud as much, but the k20 obviously will have a tougher axle. I am also probably going to replace the axles down road but for the benefit of not replacing them for year or two was wondering which you would think would be more appropriate.
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2012
  5. aloxdaddy99

aloxdaddy99 Rockstar 3 Years 1000 Posts

If I had a choice between the two I would go the K20 route. I think that is the same as today's 2500.
  6. ahmitchell1

ahmitchell1 Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

I'm in the marke for the same thing. Just find something with a good frame, idk bout you but for me the body doesn't matter I'm looking for a good frame to build off of, and of course a k20 would be better because it's stronger everywhere
  7. Josh Weber

Josh Weber New Member

I had people tell me the k10 and k20 frames are identical though i have not compared them personally. The axles will be stronger on the k20 and suspension will obviously be stronger I suppose the k20 would be the best choice.
  8. Boonduff

Boonduff Member 3 Years 100 Posts

In a mud truck you wanna go as heavy duty as possible. If I were you I'd look for a M1008 Chevy CUCV. It's basicly a 1ton truck that came from the factory with a 6.2L diesel(which could easily be swapped for a big block), Dana 60 front, full-floating 14 bolt rear with a Detroit Locker ,4.56 gears, th400 tranny, and a np208 transfer case. The suspension will accept any standard Chevy lift kit and I've seen them all over the web for about $5000 or less thumbnail.jpg
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2012