1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1983 s10 406 swap

Discussion in 'Chevy S10 Forum (GMC Sonoma)' started by jstephens, Jan 28, 2014.

1. jstephens

jstephens Member

I picked up a 83 s10 and I have a 406 im planning to drop in her.. my question is what do I buy for a rear end ? I know I want posi and possibly 373 or 410 ratio. what do I have and what do I need to buy so everything fits correctly? do I have a 7.5 26 spline? should I get 28 spline if I want to take the truck to the track? what chevys came with 28 spline so I can go to the junk yard ?
  2. BurbanMan

BurbanMan Member 1 Year 500 Posts

wouldnt hurt my feelings to grab a disk brake rear end out of an s10 or blazer ta/camaro

Are you willing to cut down an axle housing or do you want something that is close to plug and play?
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2014
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

A popular durable axle for an S-10 big block build used to be a 67 to 72 chevy/gmc 1/2 ton truck axle, springs, and locating bars.
    Next in line would be an early 70's rear axle set-up.
    If you want disc brakes look at a Lincoln sedan or navigator/expedition set-up.
    theres shops that make swap kits for all of these.