1984 chevy S10 no fire to plugs

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by 85 S10 Man, Apr 30, 2013.

1. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

i done a engine swap to a 1989 S10 2.5L engine about a week and half ago and it ran good after retiming and everything. I used my timing light to confirm that it's right on what the book says. Well i went for a drive this past sunday and it started driving pretty darn good then it started spitting, sputtering, and backfiring for some reason. well i took it back home and as soon as i pulled in the drive way it quit and wouldn't not start back. well i got the time to check everything out and i replace the distributor cap, Rotory button, plug wires, plugs and ICM (ignition control module) in the distributor and still nothing.

I think i got it narrowed down to the coil but there is no way to have it tested to make sure thou.What i was going to do is go to auto zone and buy a new one and try it and if that don't do nothing then i don't know what I'm going to do. i have check everything i could think up and plus read the entire book check every fuse,relay and everything the only thing it could be is the dang coil went out.I'm about to take this thing to the dang shredder it's getting on my last nerve.

So if anyone has Any information would be totally great full if someone can tell me something i haven't already check.

2. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

Ok just replaced the coil and still nothing. check every fuse in the truck and everything i'm about to shred this dang thing.

So i will ask again does anyone have any thing they can think of so i can check it and see if thats what it is?

3. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

did you check to make sure there is power getting to the coil? could be as simple as a wire was crimped, cut, or possibly disconnected going to the coil.

4. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

Yeah i found the problem today i just put a new 140.00 distributor in it and it started right up. i thought that was what i it was but i figured i would ask here and see if anyone knew anything about these kind of trucks.

5. dsfloyd

glad you got it working.

6. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

yeah me too i'm glad to get my little gas saver back on the road again. but when they told me the price of the distributor i liked to had a heart attack LOL

7. dsfloyd

I definately know how that goes.:money:

8. 85 S10 Man

85 S10 Man Member

yeah i had my alternator tested and now it's bad so that's a other 130.00 bucks going in to it LOL.But that's with a life time warranty on it oo. so if it ever goes out then i can take it back and get a other one.