1984 Chevy Scottsdale rear end

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by Blacknight, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Blacknight

Blacknight New Member

Hello Guys I have a 84 chevy scottsdale P/U 4x4 with a 350 Big block motor I plan to swap the motor out and insert a Duramax 6.5L Diesel with an Allison 1000 Transmission 6 speed Manule does anyone knows if I would have to change the rearend or install a computer chip. Any advise will be very greatfull or should I just keep it gasoline.
  2. Davandy

Davandy Moderator 100 Posts 1000 Posts

I will give you my opinion. :neutral:
    Keep it gasoline, the way things are going with all the environment rules and so on diesel is a no no.
    The only alternative is propane to keep the air clean and a diesel can't run on propane.
  3. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 100 Posts 1000 Posts

Depending on driving style that combo could eat your front and rear axles for lunch.
    I'd recommend dana 60's front and rear.
    You'll need the whole engine harness, engine, and transmission computers, fuel system (tank & pump), radiator, and the donor needs to be a 4x4 so you can get the transfer case also. Additionally you'll need to source the clutch pedal brackets and possibly fab some items to make the manual work.
    This is a big project that could take months to work out. If your doing the job be prepared for lots of frustration and busted knuckles. If your paying to have it done it'll cost.
    Is it viable ? Yes, but I wouldnt undertake it unless you have a lot of mechanical experience, whether your doing the work or farming it out.
    With fuel prices like they are this swap makes sense but it'll take a long time to pay itself off.
  4. Blacknight

Blacknight New Member

Thanks good advise and Yeah I am doing this job myself with no time limit this truck is a project with totaly new design and modifaction inside and out, I am pleased to have this style of a truck alot of options to upgrade and yeah the way the gas price are this the reason for the diesel, Plus more tourqe to climb hills or mountain trails. Thank you soo much My mind is set I know it is not a cheap conversion the Duramax 6.5L diesel motor alone cost $ 6500.00 not sure on the Allison but I average around $ 4500.00.
  5. dwill3015

dwill3015 New Member 100 Posts 1000 Posts

I don't know if your planning on buying new but here is a 2005 LLY Duramax with 27.5K miles on it for $4,400.00 to your door on Ebay.

Here's even a remanufactured Allison 1000 Tranny for $1,995.00 + $300 for shipping.
  6. Blacknight

Blacknight New Member

No way I never thought of E-bay Thank you soo much I will look at it. I was looking at the GM factory and did'nt know where to look for the Tranny. Thank you for your help. Dwain in Idaho.
  7. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 100 Posts 1000 Posts

My 84 I had years ago came with a 12 bolt rear end. The damn thing was bullet proof. I drag raced for 3 yrs, launching it pretty damn hard. Never had to do anything but change to a posi/higher gear ratio carrier. I think you would just need a custom drive-shaft.
  8. Blacknight

Blacknight New Member

Thank you I will take a look at that option, And I know whatcha mean about bullet proof I've had a heck of a time removing the front clip of this beast most of all the bolts were stripped and rusted and it took me two days to get the clip off. Thanks so much.