1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1984 cutlass supreme, RWD 2DR

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by bidutch, Jan 16, 2009.

1. bidutch

bidutch New Member

Hey everyone, happy new year, hope all is well.

Well i have had a great run for 3 years with my ride (the above mentioned) 2 weeks ago something happened in the engine though.

It started as a mild knocking noise the one morning, when i started it. Wasnt extremely cold, but anyways, i did hear that something wasnt right. The knocking throuhout the day got louder and louder and performance became more and more sluggish. the knocking could only be heard at certain rpms; at idle, at mid rev, and the oudest at full rev, when excelerating. At certain in-between rpms, it wasnt as audiable. It still ran fine, and whenever it snowed, i would move it out of the driveway, so that i could plow my driveway, and then proceed to take it around the block; being that i also have a company truck for snow days. On tuesday jan 13th, when i did this, i barely was able to get it home, from only 100 yds away; this was after i started it about 15 mins prior to pulling it out of the driveway. Exceleration bacame next to nothing, very hard sputtering occured, and in neutral, it would hardly rev up past half. after much playing with neutral and drive, and feathering the gas pedal, i was able to just back into my driveway to park it, where it also stalled out aswell. when i tried to statrt it again, it was like the starter was under a very heavy load to crank it over, which is very abnormal, being that i have 2 big batteries in it, for large stereo purposes. And no matter how cold it gets, it always starts. So with all these symptoms mentioned, im hoping someone can tell me what could be the problem(s). I've got a good idea that its major, im just wondering, for what it could be, whether there is a repair kit for the affected parts, or whether a new engine is better off. I dont mind that, it will give me a chance to put the big dirty in it.... a 350 lol. It has a 3.8 v6, 2 barrel in it right now.

It would be great to get some input from someone....Thank you

Matthew
  2. TMRuiz

TMRuiz New Member 100 Posts

Bad News

It sounds like you may have to put that 6 cyl to rest. Sounds like it started with a rod knock that turned into and all out blown engine. Now as far as putting in a V-8 from that V-6 my brother and I did that in an 1985 Chevy pick-up and it didn't just bolt right in we had to change the entire front cross member because with the V-6 the motor mounts didn't even come close to working and not to mention the old cross member was right in the way of the oil pan. I'm not trying to discourage just letting you know what you might be up against. Good Luck:great:
  3. jn1965

jn1965 New Member

I think an easier swap would be a 3.8 liter turbo from a Buick GN or even a 3800 supercharged V6 from a Bonneville SSEi. You would need the wiring harness and the computer as well as the engine.
    Is the car a manual or does it have an auto? Is the auto a TH200 or a TH700-R4? If it is a 200 it might not handle a V8 or a turbo V6's power

If you want to swap in a V8 get an Olds Rocket 350 or at least a 307
  4. Cableguy

Cableguy New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

That year of Cutlass is my favourite. :great:
    Too bad but I too beleive the old girl needs a new engine. Mid to late 90's Vortec 350 would be fun or a mid 90's Impala SS Cast LT1 would be an absolute scream.

Good luck with the old girl keep us updated
  5. tbplus10

tbplus10 Super Moderator Staff Member Platinum Contributor 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Sounds like you have a lower connector rod knock. Time to dust off those plans for the 350.
    Since the 84 Cutlass was available with a V-8 it shouldnt be a hard project to drop one in. I'd start by finding an 84 that had a V-8 and take pictures and measurements of the engine bay and motor mounts. Search on line, this work may have been done for you already. I've seen plenty of converted Cutlass's on the road.
  6. bidutch

bidutch New Member

Thanks for your input. I kinda figured it was trouble.... i fired her up last night, and even after sitting through that week-long cold spell of -20 up here, it ran. So, can you briefly explain what that means, like about the rods and stuff that you were saying?

This genre of car had 4 engine options. 3.8, 305, 350, and 6.0 diesel lol. The mounts i believe are either there, or the same. i do not want a fuel injected car; with all that computer ****. That is way too mcuh work to install all that stuff. If i stay with a carbeurator, then most of the components on the engine can go right back on aswell. Most of which i have replaced myself in the last year and a half.
  7. ct9a

ct9a New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I had an '83 (or '82, can't remember) as my first car. Loved that car.

The V8 (350 at least) will bolt right in, in place of the V6 without too much customization needed (the motor mounts line up, IIRC). You will need to upgrade your fuel system though.

I thought that the carb's on the V6 from those cars were closer to a primitive fuel injection than a carb. in those years (it's been over 10 years since I had the car). G/L.