1985 gmc Sierra

Discussion in 'How-to Guides' started by Harry Tomlinson, Feb 15, 2017.

1. Harry Tomlinson

Harry Tomlinson New Member

1985 gmc Sierra. 20 inch rims with a 2.5/4 in drop. Current issue i am having now is that the passenger side sits higher than the driver side. All suspension is new. What would be the cause of this?

2. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Usually a tired spring set on the driver's side. Most accumulated miles are with the driver only - no passenger - so it wears out first.

Ted

3. RayVoy

RayVoy Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

The "all suspension is new" made me think the springs were replaced; but you may be right Ted, the springs may not have been changed.

4. Harry Tomlinson

You are right, the springs are new

5. RayVoy

Well, perhaps not the right spring in that corner?

Harry, can you get the truck on a level surface and start taking measurements.
    Some points should be the same, and some will be out. Maybe if we knew when it goes out, we could narrow it down.

6. xPosTech

xPosTech Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

What kind of shocks? Do they have adjustable valving? Did you install the drop or did a shop do it?

Double check the components. Pay particular attention to the control arms and make sure one didn't get installed upside down.

When you had the front end aligned they didn't mention the height difference? Or did the shop that dropped it do the alignment?

Ted

7. Harry Tomlinson

The passenger side seems to sit about half an inch higher than the driver side

8. Harry Tomlinson

My cousin and i installed the drop. It was the drop spindle and hanger kit from lmc truck. They are new stock length shocks, along with new stock springs. The shop that did the alignment didnt say anything except they used a ton of shims.

9. RayVoy

I know that.
    I'm suggesting you get on a level smooth surface, like a garage floor, crawl under the truck and take a number of height measurements. The same points on both sides.
    Always go from the floor to a number of different spots on the suspension. A lot of the measurements should be the same and some will have the variance. If we knew where the measurements started to be different, perhaps we could figure out where the problem is.