1986 chevy truck steel dash removal

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by GMCtruck, May 26, 2009.

1. GMCtruck

GMCtruck New Member

I am new to this forum, and I was led here by a google search for dash board removal. I read instructions for removal of a dash board for a newer chevy truck. I am wondering if anyone can shed light on the removal of the steel dash panel from my 1986 chevy truck before I start the project.

2. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

No idea, but I may need to pull on for my 81 project. I'll post if I get to it.

3. Cableguy

Cableguy Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

If your talking about the steel frame behind dash padding, that is a steel frame tack welded to the cab. The only way to remove it is to carefully drill spot weilds or cut with angle grinder.
    I removed the dash out of my 84 and put an all stainless steel dash in (Custom) like a stock car with gauges in it.
    I hope this is what you meant?

4. mburn039

mburn039 Rockstar

How hard was replacing the dash with the stainless steel? I have been wanting to do that with my 71 GTO.

Mike

5. Cableguy

It wasn't easy. I actually made a template out of card board first (After everything was removed) Then put it all into place and then laid it out on a sheet of stainless. From there it was just trial and error.
    The end result was worth it, with all the custom autometer gauges. Oil,temp, vacumm, tranny, etc
    Very cool in the end

6. mburn039

mburn039 Rockstar

Wow, what kind of truck was that in? Do you have pics? How much was it all inclusive with guages and everything?

Mike

7. Cableguy

That was a 1984 Chev Pickup and 20 years ago....LOL I wish I could remember

8. GMCtruck

GMCtruck New Member

86 truck steel dash panel

Thanks.:great:

I managed to pry most of the tac welds apart and then cut the stubborn ones with a angle grinder. I opted not to drill them out because I would of had to drill through the cab frame for the windshield entirely starting from the outside coming in. The spot welds are angled down towards the top of the steel dash frame, so there is not enough room to get the drill in there to drill the spot welds out. Besides, this way there is no time involved in welding in the drill holes.