1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1986 Truck

Discussion in 'Member Introductions' started by Gordo_, Feb 11, 2013.

Newest Gallery Photos

1. Gordo_

Gordo_ New Member

Howdy! I'm glad to find this blog spot. I have a 1986 truck in the driveway and it's carb on the kitchen table.
    Should I rebuild the existing carb or try to find a re-built one?
    Note: The V8 engine has been equiped to pass CA emissions, which I am not subject to here. It seems like it would be a good idea to eliminate all the smog equipment at this time.
    I'm confident I have the skills to complete the required repairs and I'm looking forward the task. I have more time than money right now.
    The truck ran great, but I've had a progressive fuel issue. For two years the only way I could start it in the morning was to prime the carb with gas or starting fluid. Once she got going it would run fine and I could shut it off the rest of the day and it would start-up fine. Then the next AM same drill. Eventually that stopped working. That's why I've got a carb where my toaster was.
    I would really appreciate some advice on this.
    Cheers,
    Gordo.

2. donyms

donyms Rockstar 4 Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome to the club Gordo, it's good to have you here. :glasses:

3. Gordo_

Gordo_ New Member

Thank you. Does anybody know who made the carb for the 350 in 86?

4. 20TahoeLT12

20TahoeLT12 Member 1 Year

Welcome!! I can't help you with your question.

5. dsfloyd

dsfloyd Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner Gold Member 1000 Posts

Welcome,

Try to have the mods move your question or repost it in the general chevy and gm tech section and you might get some more responses to it there.

6. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

Welcome! :great:

7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

If I remember at that time they were still using Quadrajets.
    The Q jet carb has had a long and not so good history with GM, they were problematic from the beginning and even when new didnt always perform well.
    But a good mechanic well versed on those carbs could get them to perform great.
    I remember they always suffered from sticky floats, leaky "O" rings on the needle seats, and the electronic choke was iffy.
    But when it's all said and done if youve got more time than money a rebuild kit isnt to expensive and it might be a good time to learn in depth about the carb.
    Many Q Jet's were replaced with Carter's, Edelbrock's, or Holley's, personally I'd probably start looking in recycle yards or swap meets for an old Holley or Carter replacement.

8. supriya

supriya New Member

thanks for information

9. retired2001

retired2001 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Welcome to the G M T C ! Good advice from "tbplus10"!