1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1987 350 motor troubles

Discussion in 'GM Powertrain' started by socal77k5, May 23, 2010.

1. socal77k5

socal77k5 Rockstar

i have a 1987 chevy suburban, i just recently started having problems. the motor at first when i hit 40 mph or so it started to bog down, now i start it and it dies after a few seconds, starts strong but just dies, now do you think this is a fuel issue? like a regulater problem, cause its getting fuel i can see it when i take the air cleaner off, but it just dies. any ideas on what it could be?
  2. rustyk2

rustyk2 Rockstar 4 Years 500 Posts

I would start with the simple stuff, like fuel filter, etc. check the fuel pressure,then move to the regulator, Just because you see fuel, does not mean it is getting enough.
  3. davehare

davehare New Member

I agree, always replace your fuel filter every year. You may have water blocking the fuel lines too. Usually the fuel filter gets blocked with water. Next would be the fuel regulator. Then comes the injector nozzles. Injector nozzles can also be clogged. You should have a nice spray cone and not a straight streem of fuel comming out. After replacing the fuel filter add a additive to dry out the remainder fuel in your tank. ( DRY GAS ). Old fuel tanks also have lots of sediments on the bottom and can cause blockages.
  4. 2COR517

2COR517 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like your fuel pump is getting weak. May or may not be partially caused by the fuel filter. Either way, the filter is a quick & cheap job and should be done anyhow.

Do you have a fuel pressure tester?
  5. socal77k5

socal77k5 Rockstar

thanks ya'll this is giving me good hope that its something minor.
  6. rustyk2

Based on what you told us it does sound like a fuel delivery prob. How is the oil pressure? voltage might be a problem, without more info all we can do is guess.
  7. Red

Red New Member

Could be one bad spark plug wire.
  8. socal77k5

socal77k5 Rockstar

the oil gauge is broken, it is getting spark, heres what happend ill give yall what i know, it drove decent on monday, then it didnt want to pass 40 mph, then tue i started it and it died after about 10 seconds, i give it a lil gas and it revs then quickly bogs. now i start it and about 5 seconds later with no throttle it dies. i take off teh air cleaner and i see 2 small streams of fuel. and it dies anyway, though im pretty sure its fuel issue.
  9. rustyk2

If you are seeing streams of fuel from the TBI injectors, and not a cone shape, then your injectors are either no good, or not enough fuel.
  10. socal77k5

socal77k5 Rockstar

ok that makes sense, and this is why i hate tbi and efi. i love my carburetors. but ok i will check the simple thigns first, ill replace the filter and see whats next, i idnt know it was supposed to spray in a cone shape. so thats probably a pressure problem huh? maybe the regulator?