1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1987 CUCV M1008 - Worth owning?

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by wl_walker, Jan 13, 2010.

1. wl_walker

wl_walker Rockstar

I have found a CUCV for sale that has 41,000 gov documented miles on it. It has the 6.2L Detroit Diesel powerplant and the 24V/12V hybrid electical system. Anyone out there ever own one of these? I'm looking for a fun 4WD and thougt that this would be too cool!
  2. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Is this the military blazer/pick-up you are speaking of? If so, they arent bad, the suspension and axles are indestructable, but the engine isnt the best, these are NON-turbo diesel (like 150HP)motors so there isnt great power to be had, but they will go through anything. I have done some crazy stuff while wheelin in a military truck and they can take a poundin
  3. wl_walker

wl_walker Rockstar

It's an '87 M1008 which is a GMC longbed pickup. One issue is no A/C and Sacramento summers are mighty hot! Aftermarket A/C kits run about $1100. It looks like one of the batteries is in the place where the condensor housing would be. Apparently the A/C kit places the condensor behind the dash above the heater core. I have not worked on diesels before and I do like to maintain/work o my own vehicle so there would be a learning curve. It would also be my daily driver and I don't know if I would be comfortable driving this beast full time. The owner said that I would want to either put taller tires on it or change the differential gears.
  4. wl_walker

wl_walker Rockstar

Oh yeah, and it is selling for $2400!
  5. vncj96

vncj96 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Believe me, you buy one you WANT A/C!! Most likely the dash is old and cracked and falling apart, i have never been in one that wasnt, they are brown interior and is vinyl, HOT AND STICKY! Also there is NO RADIO in it either.
  6. kdr358

kdr358 Member

I know a guy That has an 84 similar to the one mentioned. the only difference is His has a 350 in it. But In the summer it is VERY hot and sticky. but they will go through anything. They are tough cool looking trucks But the no ac would get really old really fast.
  7. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

Th CUCV is a great truck
    I've owned 10 over the years and driven many while on active duty.
    The Diesel isnt the most powerfull but can be tuned for more power and mileage with some work and parts, the axles and suspension are stout and can take quite lots of punishment, the interior is simple and easy to clean.
    A great project truck or excellent starter truck for a hardcore off road.
    Depending on mileage and condition $2400 could be a fair price.
    9 years ago we took 3 recent DRMO Purchased CUCV's across the Rubicon with no modifications they worked great, had no parts breaks, but we got stuck in a few places, didnt stay stuck long tho we used the CUCV's to pull each other out.
  8. wl_walker

wl_walker Rockstar

This one sold before I could get back to the guy. I have seen A/C kits tht place the condensor over the heater box instead of the usual enclosure on the engine side of the firewall; wonder how wel they work. ill have to think on whether I want to look for another. In the mean time will keep driving o'l Blue! Thanks for all the input!
  9. Z71_guy

Z71_guy Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

I have been looking at the CUCV for a plow truck $4000 for truck and plow with 16000 miles on it, all i know is they will go just about anywere you want it to go the full lock rear end get a little squirly but to be expected and the 1.25t suspension will carry anything you want
    they are not to bad on gas i was getting about 16MPG with the last one i had
  10. d89ram500

d89ram500 New Member

hi everybody. im 16 an i was thinkin about getting a m1008 or m1009 as a first vehicle is it a good idea? my only worries r how much r parts gonna b when i gotta replace them. and about the radio some iput on how easy it is 2 put one in the truck