1987 GMC Sierra Classic 2wd

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by dwgmc1313, May 15, 2009.

1. dwgmc1313

dwgmc1313 New Member

I am new to the forum and just picked up a 1987 Sierra Classic that has been sitting for about 2 years. It looks pretty good for the age and the amount of time under a pine tree. I just got it home and haven't begin to do anthing with it. I tried to jump it off when I was loading it on a car hauler and everything came to life but the motor. It clicked at the solenoid but that's it. Probably dead battery, but my question is.....After 2 years of sitting, does the motor need to be rebuit...or can I change the oil and plugs and try to fire it up?? I will post pics later. thanks for the help.

2. Mean_Green_95

Mean_Green_95 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

you will definitely new some new gas for that beast to run right. Then probably just clean the plugs and change the oil and charge the battery to get her started, or at least turning. Welcome to the site and good luck with it and keep us posted.

3. trimhalifax

trimhalifax Rockstar 100 Posts

Welcome to the site. I agree that you should flush the cooling system and swap the oils.Let us know how it turns out

4. tbplus10

tbplus10 Epic Member Staff Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts Platinum Contributor

First off why has it been setting for two years?

In preparation for starting it heres what I would do:

Change oil
    Check/clean plugs
    Change anti-freeze
    Check/change air filter
    Check/charge battery
    Check/clean battery connections on battery and at the starter
    Check all fuses
    In a perfect world you'd drop the fuel tank, rinse it out and clean the fuel pump and lines out, but it aint perfect so siphon the old fuel out, put in some new fuel and after you get the truck running put in something like Seafoam or B12 Chemtool to clean out any varnish or jelled fuel in the system.
    Check/change powersteering fluid
    Check/change brake fluid
    Check/change diff lube
    Check/change trans fluid
    Do a thourough under hood and under dash check of all the wiring and vacuum lines you can see, rodents love to chew on wiring insulation and many a project has gone up in smoke due to those little bastards.

After you get it running check all the fluids again.
    Use a carb/injector cleaner in the system by spraying it into the air cleaner inlet while the trucks running.

5. dwgmc1313

dwgmc1313 New Member

Instead of dropping the tanks, since there are two, couldn't I just unhook the fuel lines from the tbi and turn the key on so the fuel pump runs it all out?

6. Mean_Green_95

you could do that if the gas hasn't gone t a gel form.

7. GaryL

GaryL Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts Platinum Contributor

You can't use the fuel pump because it only runs for a few seconds when you turn the key on. I won't stay on until the motor is running and oil pressure is detected.

8. dwgmc1313

dwgmc1313 New Member

running!

OK, good news! I changed the oil, put a new battery, and filled the radiator and it fired right up! One thing though is that is smokes when running....not so much that I can't see the back of the truck, but it smokes white a good bit. Especially when I hit the gas. The truck has a lot of miles on it and I am wondering could it just be gaskets? Or is the engine bad....it doesn't sound bad though. I have not drove it due to a rear tranny seal that I have to replace. Let me know what you guys think.

9. Mean_Green_95

Its prolly a combination of old gas and sitting for a while. Once that old gas is out of there it will prolly clear up.

10. TMRuiz

TMRuiz Rockstar 100 Posts

"Check/clean battery connections on battery and at the starter" one otherthing is check the cables they could have some corrosion past the insulation.