1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1987 surburban electrical issues

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by roywfields, Jun 15, 2012.

1. roywfields

roywfields New Member

truck has been sitting awhile. it was fine until the other day neede to be jumped but i changed the starter and had alternator checked. now it will not start just turn over and the lights dont work but brake lights come on when pressed. no inside lights. used tester on fuses and nothing would light up.
  2. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

First off: Welcome to GMTC!! We're glad to have ya aboard here and there's lots of experience and knowledge

Issue: Now, were you using a test light and that's what you mean by "nothing would light up" meaning everything in the fuse panel was dead?
  3. roywfields

roywfields New Member

yes sir i have checked also for corrosion at battery post just changed starter. It was towed home and i was thinking maybe it was vapor lock or fuel pump but none of that was the cause. i do have hazard and brake lights it will turn over but no fuel is getting to carb, all the fuses was pulled and they all were good.
  4. 08_rado_rocker

08_rado_rocker New Member

I'm unfamiliar with the fuse block on the vehicle.. but are the wires routed directly into the block, or are there several plug-ins and terminals for them? If so, you may try taking them out and hitting them with some electronic contact cleaning spray (Not an electric parts cleaner or wd-40, as they both conduct electricity and can cause shorts. the contact cleaner dries quickly preventing any shorting, also make sure the battery is unplugged just in case). Also, di-electric grease used in the factory could be causing them to lose connection and should be cleaned out using the contact cleaner.
  5. SurrealOne

SurrealOne Former Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

We are the Borg. Lift your vehicle and surrender your keys. We will add your biological and technological distinctiveness to our own. Resistance is futile. Erm, I mean ... welcome to GM Truck Club! :great: It looks like rado has you in capable hands, so good luck with your issue.
  6. mfleetwood

mfleetwood New Member ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

****Thread Moved Here*****

Welcome to the Club!!!