1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1988 C2500 wont run after working on instrument cluster

Discussion in 'Lighting Discussion' started by wl_walker, Nov 14, 2009.

1. wl_walker

wl_walker New Member

OK, so I was really annoyed by the dim lights in my 'moonie' instrument cluster so I removed the cluster, replaced the lights with 194s (as is OEM as I understand it) and now the truck wont start! For the first two days it died just as if the key was switched off, but it started up again. Yesterday I got in, started the truck to go home from work and it ran for about 5 minutes and 'switched off' again and will not start at all. There is power to everything anf the starter works. I can smell fuel so I think that the pump and TBI is working, but the engine shows no indication that it will begin to run as if the plug wires are pulled off the plugs. I am thinking that I screwed up the instrument cluster (doesen't it wire in as part of the ECM?).If one was to remove the instrument cluster and try to start the truck, it wouldn't run would it?
    Where would one want to start looking for problems? Am hoping I don't have a nice blue Chevy planter for my front yard!

Will
    1988 Chevrolet C2500 Silverado, 181,000 mi.
  2. dsfloyd

dsfloyd New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

i would pull it apart again and make sure nothing is loose
  3. Dukeschevy

Dukeschevy New Member 100 Posts

I understand why you did this in the first place( the half moon gauge cluster in the 88 is annoying!) I would also try and take it apart again making sure nothing is loose and maybe even try the old cluster to see if that is your problem. Good luck
    -Dave
  4. wl_walker

wl_walker New Member

I actually got this fixed the first try! It was the spark control module. Thing is, I wonder if my monkeying around with the instrument panel caused this. I have read about dash conversions to the 95-98 style and also swapping to the needle style that came in the 92-94 with needles. Seen it done with success, will have to decide if I want to go through such a project! Glad to have the truck running!
  5. Dukeschevy

I wonder how hard it is to convert to needle style, I really don't like the half moon gauges at all and they are too dim. How easy was it to replace the lights and are they brighter?
  6. wl_walker

wl_walker New Member

DUKESCHEVY, I have heard that LED substitutes for the 194 bulbs help alot. They are pricey but supposed to really brighten up the gauges and plug right in. IMHO there are not enough bulbs in the cluster, only three for the speedo and one each for the other guages. I'm mullng over which to do: swap guages or go LED...
  7. wl_walker

wl_walker New Member

Here's a link for 194 LEDs:

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000LJICVE"]Amazon.com: X1W White Lightning 02 Automotive LED light bulb, super ultra bright 194 LED light bulbs 2002 X1W White Lightning T11 High Intensity Blue LED Wedge Bulb - 6 LED Dial Wedge Bulbs Parking light light bulb: Automotive[/ame]
  8. Dukeschevy

Thankyou for that, I never thought adding lights. but if I'm going to do anything I should prob just go ahead and get needle style gauges, I'd rather have digital numbers than this moon thing haha I don't know what exactly I want to do yet
    -Dave
  9. wl_walker

wl_walker New Member

10. KidHauler

KidHauler New Member 100 Posts

A long time ago, I took the guages apart in my '89 and used a soldering iron to cut out the green backing. I then put in red 194s for the backlighting ~ GM peach!

It's been plenty bright, lasted all these years, and looks pretty cool for pretty cheap. I did nick the speedo disk with the iron, so it sits at 15mph when the truck is off...