1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1988 C3500 catalytic converter

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Brandont, Dec 26, 2010.

Random Gallery Photos

1. Brandont

Brandont New Member

Hello all. I recently purchased an 88 c3500 dually with a 7.4 litre engine. I am looking for information about when GM started putting catalytic converters on these engines because my truck doesn't have one. Thanks for any info you can give me.:happy:
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2010
  2. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

I THINK back in '88 the 1-tons weren't required to have them.... I THINK.
  3. Brandont

Brandont New Member

Man I hope so. Thanks
  4. silveradotrailblazer

silveradotrailblazer New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Try calling your local GM parts department and see if they came with one. If they did have one just buy a aftermarket cat, ALOT less money than a GM replacement. Check Magnaflows website for there replacement cats.
  5. TELORVEHC

TELORVEHC New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

High flow cats FTW:great:
  6. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Brandon, If your C-3500 wasn't built for sale in Cali, it would not have the cat in '88
    I live near enough to the Cali border, that we get a lot of their used trucks/cars up here & unfortunately my '88 1 ton was a Cali used truck & it did have one when I bought it.
  7. Brandont

Brandont New Member

Thanks for the info. I guess I will take the truck to the emissions place and see what they say. I live in Colorado so it shouldn't have to meet California specs. I will post some pics of the work truck soon.
  8. Brandont

Brandont New Member

Does anyone else have any input?
  9. stephan

stephan New Member 1000 Posts 100 Posts

Hey Brandon, you might try pluging your vin number in at this site & see what it says. I don't guarantee it's accurate or if it will even recognize your vin cuz it doesn't accept mine.I tried it twice & it told me mine wasn't entered into their database yet,... like they were thinking my '88 was too new or something lol

http://www.compnine.com/vid.php

10. Brandont

Brandont New Member

Hey Stephan, I tried it and vin not in the database. Thank you for the suggestion.