1. Chevy Truck Forum

Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online

Online since 2004, we're the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free

Registering is Free and Easy! Do it today and we'll see you on the forums soon!

1988 chevy silverado

Discussion in 'Chevy Truck Talk & GM News' started by ritz1985, Jan 20, 2014.

1. ritz1985

ritz1985 New Member

Hey my truck starts with no key in the ignition does anyone know why that is and is it just a lock cylinder replace job or what?

2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

Are you saying, you can turn the ignition cylinder without a key?

If so, it is just a worn lock cylinder, a locksmith shop can order a new one.

3. BRB46

BRB46 Rockstar Gold Member 100 Posts

Most likely worn cylinder and or key. Pretty convenient as long as no one else knows. I had a vehicle that once started I could pull the key and lock the door. Good for the cold mornings for warm up. And welcome to the club!

4. ritz1985

ritz1985 New Member

yes i can start my truck and shut it off with no key

5. fugitive

fugitive Member

I would start with the key being that you already posted that one of your doors doesn't unlock with the key! As said above a good lock smith can solve both issues most mobile guy's carry everything you need in thier truck.

6. JTWard

JTWard Member 1 Year Gold Member 100 Posts

I've seen this a number of times. The pins in the lock ignition cylinder are worn out. Get a fresh new key and have a locksmith key code the new cylinder for you. I take it that the engine can be started in any gear or any position ?