1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1988 V 3500 charging problems

Discussion in 'GM Electrical Tech' started by notpilbrisk, Jul 4, 2012.

1. notpilbrisk

notpilbrisk Member

alright guys. i have a 1988 v3500 gmc with a 454 in it. i just purchased this truck from a friend of mine and i am having charging problems. i installed a new alternator about 3 weeks ago cuz the original one almost left me stranded. after putting new alternator on truck was charging fine at around 13 to 14 volts according to volt gauge on dash. 3 weeks later truck stopped charging. pulled alternator off and had it tested. tested good. now i am thinking its in the wiring. i cannot find any information on this truck as far as diagrams go and i get rather confused since its a v3500 not a k 3500 i have a haynes repair manual for chevy and gmc pickups 1988-1998 all models 1999 and 2000 c/k classic 2 and 4 wheel drive. however when i went a bought my alternator they tried giving me the wrong one with all of my information listed in the computer. this makes me wonder if the diagrams i am looking at are correct in what they are telling me as per my truck. any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Gerry
  2. Chris Miller

Chris Miller Rockstar 100 Posts

Well, there should only be two wires to deal with: the main one going to the battery, and the other one plugs into the voltage regulator.