1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1989 K2500 Silverado Wiper Issue

Discussion in 'General Chevy & GM Tech Questions' started by Grady, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Grady

Grady New Member

I tried the wipers on my truck but nothing happened. I left them on High - bad idea. A minute later smoke from the switch. Now what? Any suggestions? The truck had been sitting for a while except being run around the farm but the wipers hadn't been used for months. I'll check the circuit board but what about the smoke?
  2. csltrains96

csltrains96 Rockstar 100 Posts

First - nice to see another '89 K2500. Second - were these dash mounted wiper controls, or turn signal mounted controls?
  3. Revredneck

Revredneck Rockstar 100 Posts

Smoke from the switch is not a good thing. The most common problem with the wipers on those trucks is a cracked solder joint on the circuit board in the wiper motor. I've repaired dozens of them with just a soldering iron and touch of solder. Take off the cover of the motor and the board will just pop right out. Inspect it carefully. I'll bet you'll see a burned portion in the printed circuit, which means you'll need a new circuit board and a new switch.
    Good Luck and God Bless
  4. Grady

Grady New Member

smoke from switch

Thanks for the replies. My switch is on the turn signal lever and the smoke was very slight, not serious but still not a good sign. Something got hot. I had the steering wheel apart a few years back, maybe 5 or 6 yrs, to change the ignition [key] switch. [I think] like I said, it was years ago and I'm not getting any younger. As I recall it wasn't rocket science but it wasn't like changing the oil either. If I have to change the switch, I may be back for some pointers. As I recall there was some spring I had to compress while trying to do something else at the same time like a snap ring or something. It gave me a chance to practice some colorful language. Since my turn signals don't stay on I could fix that at the same time. I'm still hoping that won't be necessary. I guess I should start with the circuit board and see if the switch works. - or will the switch trash the new board? Who knows? Right?