1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1989 Sliverado K1500 A/C clutch want disengage.

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by jwh4552, Aug 20, 2012.

1. jwh4552

jwh4552 New Member

1989 Silverado K1500 the A/C clutch want disengage when the truck is not running and the switch is off. I have the wire harness disconnected from the A/C compressor clutch. If you connect the wire the clutch will engage. I have replaced all three relays ( clutch, high fan, low fan) under the dash, does not have any effect. I discoverd the problem when my battery ran down while the truck was setting for a couple days. Charged the battery and it ran down again. Put a new battery on truck when I connected the cables I noticed the clutch kicked in, knew that was my battery problem. Thanks for any help.
  2. moogvo

moogvo Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

Sounds like you have a crossed up wire somewhere. Start pulling fuses until you find the circuit that is cross feeding power to your compressor. Is it possible that a previous owner rigged a switch to the compressor to bypass the pressure switches? In any case... Pull fuses until the clutch disengages. Then you will have an idea where to look for a wiring problem.