1990 2500 V Suburban 6.2 questions.

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by Casmith245, Dec 31, 2012.

Newest Photos

1. Casmith245

Casmith245 New Member

Hi, I have a couple pretty easy questions on the 1990 2500V 6.2 diesel GMC suburban I just got.

How much coolant does it take?

What would be some key places to inspect for damage or common parts to replace? (It has just over 200,000 showing on the odometer but the previous owner said it has a newer rebuilt engine in it, but not sire exactly how old or how many miles).

Right now the heater wont turn on and I am not sure exactly what the problem could be.

The radio isn't working (already replaced the fuse and had no luck with just a simple repair, same with the heater)

Any ideas on where to start on troubleshooting?
  2. Jamm3r

Jamm3r New Member 100 Posts

Congratulations, the era of the diesel 'burbs is one many of us miss, and you have one of the last ones made. I passed my driving test in a 1979 'burb which had the same body style and many of the same parts.

Places to inspect aren't much different than any other car or truck for the most part. If you have the rear heat-A/C check the lines going back there for corrosion. Beyond that, belts, hoses, front end, shocks -- the usual wear items on any car.

GM trucks of this era were prone to failures of the heater fan switch and connector so check there first for your heater problem. The whole thing melts and turns into a glob of plastic goo -- usually have to replace both the switch and connector to clear it up. Newer trucks used relays and don't have the problem.

If it's the stock radio your best bet is to replace it with aftermarket. If your budget is tight you can get a nice aftermarket radio with a CD player at any junkyard for $20 or so.
  3. Casmith245

Casmith245 New Member

Good to know! It'snot the stock radio but i did notice the power wire was unhooked that might just be the problem there. Ill be checking it out more in the morning. I think the guy I got it from had a better after market system in there and just took it out before trading it to me. It also looks like it has had some fleet truck history or one of the previous owners had a CB or something because I am seeing some light switches and radio mounts that were added since. Great rig so far thought. Once I switched out the fuses that solved about half the electrical problems.