1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1990 C1500 electrical issue happened today, please help.

Discussion in 'Chevy C/K Truck Forum' started by vwracin2win, May 30, 2010.

1. vwracin2win

vwracin2win New Member

hey guys im new here and have a question. today i drove my truck to the hardware store being its my daily driver i drive it everyday with no issues at all and today was the same as any other day. jumped in started right up and ran good all the way there parked it ran inside and when i came out i jumped in started it up and immediately smelled burning with smoke pouring out from under the dash so i immediately shut it off and disconnected the battery and got it to cool down before a fire started. i looked under and there is a blue plug and the larger brown wire is melted. also when i tried to turn it back on it didnt have any power and the key was a little hard to turn then loosened up a bit after turning it on and off a few times.
    my question is is there anything i should pay more attention to looking into before i just start tearing apart the steering column? any input at all or advice is greatly appreciated.

thanks guys.
  2. murdog94

murdog94 Epic Member 5+ Years 5000 Posts

Is it an auto or manual and do you have tilt??? You might have a nuked wire if it is a tilt which is a common problem with these rigs. I had to change my column just after i bought mine. Just look around and see what wires are frayed in the area. I just did a complete wiring harness upgrade in my truck from a 1992. And just so you know if the short is in the column which is what it is sounds like it might be a better idea to get a new one from the junk yard. They are about $80 if you can find one off of Craigslist mabey even cheaper.
  3. vwracin2win

vwracin2win New Member

yes it has tilt. and its an auto. so do you know what would cause this problem?
  4. murdog94

I know mine frayed all the wires in the tilt area, and caused me to loose all of the functions and if i moved the column the right way I would lose power..
  5. trapperdon

trapperdon Rockstar 100 Posts

any chance you can post a pic on here of exactly which area & wire we are dealing with ??
    you said under dash, did you really mean from inside the steering column itself ??
  6. murdog94

Yep... Inside the steering column... THat is where they are famous for getting damaged. It almost seems that GM didnt add enough insulation, and the wires frayed really easly.
  7. vwracin2win

vwracin2win New Member

yea i think it shorted in the steering column causing the plug under the dash to heat up as well. which i find kind of weird because i never use the tilt. but it does have 215k on it so i guess it could happen. i ended up finding a complete steering column on craigslist for $40. I need to swap some of my stuff like the gear shift steering wheel and ignition switch but other than hat its in good shape. now i just need time to put it in.
  8. kcfocus1

kcfocus1 New Member

The blue plug has some beefy 10 gauge wires to it that go on ignition switch along with another white plug. They pull a lot of juice
    and sometimes the burn contacts on switch or get where they should,t and melt away. I hope your fuse blew... did it?