1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1990 GMC Suburban heater stuck on

Discussion in 'Chevy Suburban Forum (GMC Yukon XL)' started by jdwxly, Sep 9, 2012.

1. jdwxly

jdwxly New Member

I have a problem with the heat being stuck on all the time on my 1990 GMC Suburban. It doesn't matter where I set the temperature control or the mode selector. Several things seemed to fail all at once:

Heat stuck full on
    A/C compressor will not come on
    HVAC controls don't seem to affect anything.

I've replaced the mode switch and the vacuum switch, checked the vacuum lines and control cable, and replaced the vacuum source line up to the manifold. I've been seeing references to the Air Blend Door actuator in online searches, but my Chilton manual doesn't mention anything about it. I'd appreciate any direction folks could offer on this - it's too hot to have the heater on all the time!
  2. RayVoy

RayVoy Well-Known Member 2 Years 1000 Posts

It sounds (to me) like the air blend door, but I'm afraid, I din't have any experience with the '90 fullsize.
  3. oldmanstruck

oldmanstruck Member

remove the glove box, you should see where the heater coil is (inside that big plastic box)
    On top, there is a rod to control the opening. Mind has a lose plastic so I use a new eye hook to fix the problem. hope that's your problem.
    AC compressor not turning on, I have no idea.
    does your fan speed work? Mind wasn't, only High so I replaced the resistor as well.