1. Welcome To GMTruckClub.com!

The #1 Chevy Truck Forum Online
    Online since 2004, we are the #1 Chevy Truck & SUV forum and user community. If you have any questions about your Chevy or GMC Truck, SUV or Crossover, or just want to connect with other GM owners and enthusiasts around the world, you've found the best place on the internet to do that.

Join Today ~ It's Free
    Registering is Free and Easy! Hope to see you on the forums soon!

1990 GMC Suburban Steering System

Discussion in 'Lifted & Offroad Suspension' started by Cyruspostings, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Cyruspostings

Cyruspostings New Member

I bought my very first GM truck, although I already know the Truck is almost 20 years old, and will not ride like a much newer truck, I was hoping a modification or kit is available to improve the steering system..

The truck is a 2500 series with a 7.4L engine and the truck does not handle very well especially when towing something which is the only reason why i got this truck.

I took this in to several different shops and they all say the truck does not have any issues but that all the GMC trucks handle this way and is to be expected for this model year...

So my question is..

Is there an aftermarket system that can be installed that would provide a much up to date steering and handling for this model year..

thank you
  2. cascott325

cascott325 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

welcome to the club. sorry i cant help you with that one
  3. Cyruspostings

Cyruspostings New Member

it was suggested that i should look into Steering Stabilizers, but i really dont know what it is and its purpose
  4. Pete95Sierra

Pete95Sierra Epic Member 5+ Years ROTM Winner 1000 Posts

what do you mean by "does not handle very well?" does it shake? not drive straight?
  5. Cyruspostings

Cyruspostings New Member

the steering wheel has what seems like to much play or power steering its to easy to turn the steering wheel making it hard to handle the truck after 55 MPH
  6. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

so what your trying to say is

you want a stiffer steering?

usually everyone wants smoother >.<
  7. Cyruspostings

Cyruspostings New Member

Yes i could use a stiffer steering, currently turning the wheel just slightly makes the truck swerve to much.. any suggestions..
  8. 2ToNe04

2ToNe04 Epic Member 5+ Years 1000 Posts

remove the steering pump :)

tada! lol
  9. ahm1127

ahm1127 Rockstar 100 Posts

Install steering stabilizers, let 1 pound of air out of front tires until it feels the way you want it, replace all joints and change pulley on power steering so you need to put more effort in steering. Good luck.
  10. grimreapersshadow

grimreapersshadow Rockstar 100 Posts

it sounds like you could have a steering gear box issue good chance your gears inside have worn out and loosened up i would look there before investing alot of time with the suspension